Is there any way to activate a BlackBerry without having an internet service plan?
Archman

I don't use the internet on my current phone nor want it to if I get a BlackBerry. I just want the full keyboard for txting and the ability to use it like a PDA as well. I have had a BlackBerry in the past through work and really liked it, but I am not willing to pay an extra $30/month for a service I neither want or need just because I like the phone itself.

Thanks 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to activate a BlackBerry without having an internet service plan?
PrelCheeta

Yes, you can activate Blackberries without an internet connection.  Just follow the instructions that come with the device, or you can call Verizon and they can activate the device as well.

PrelCheeta

0 Likes
Re: Is there any way to activate a BlackBerry without having an internet service plan?
brianl

How does that work when Verizon's requiring a data plan when you purchase the phone?  When I called I was told all 3G phones now require a data plan, regardless if that's what you want to use it for.  Is this for a specific blackberry model you're referring to?

0 Likes
kjack218

Buy the phone on Ebay or craigslist! that is what i heard people are now doing--noone can afford this $9.99 ($119.88 a year) plan verizon is making everyone buy!

0 Likes
PrelCheeta

The data plan is required when you initially purchase the phone, but you can cancel the data services at any time.  So just jump through the hoops and then cancel the data the next day.  We do this fequently with different clients.  You can verify with Verizon that there is nothing stopping you from doing this.

PrelCheeta

0 Likes
PrelCheeta

I'm sorry I stand corrected.  It is only possible to do this with the older model smartphones.  Looks like we will be switching carriers as contracts come up.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

No, there is no way to activate a BlackBerry without a $30 data plan. This is a RIM requirement, the maker of BlackBerry devices, and applies to all carriers, not just Verizon. If you doubt, do an Internet search; there are thousands of threads like this one.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

SydneyK is absolutely 100% correct.  There is no way to get service on a Blackberry, or any 3G Smartphone without the required data plan. 

Doc

0 Likes
warrentino

If you are not using the Blackberry internet plan, then a Blackberry is probably not the phone you want.  The primary purpose of a Blackberry is to get online and send/receive e-mail.  My advice to you is to use it.  Get on the web, set up e-mail accounts on the device and give it a try.  Once you start to use the Blackberry to it's intended use, you will start to investigate how much it will cost you to cancel your home internet service, because you will no longer need it.

0 Likes
bstorm2b

There is no way possible to get a blackberry without a data plan. You can buy one from ebay etc. but once you call verizon to activate the phone they will notice what device you are using and just add a data plan on for you. That is how it works for the rest of the carriers also.Plus there is no reason to have a blackberry to not use the internet or email.There are too many options on the phone to just use it as a text messaging phone.

0 Likes