Just got my blackberry bold, need help! PLEASE :D
nicsta

Hi guys! i just got the 9650, and i have a lot of questions. 

• on the top of the screen it says my house wifi network, does that mean thats what its using to receive data, and not verizons network?
  • I went into my mobile network options, and shut off "Data services." What does this do? Does it prevent me from using verizons network if i'm not connected to a wifi? 
  • Is there anyway to sign out of my email?
  • Will it automatically connect to a wifi server before verizons own server? 
  • Does the phone automatically use a saved wifi? 
  • Can I manually update my email inbox?
  • How do I check my MB usage?
  • Does using apps that I download count as data when I use them? When I download them is that data? 
  • Is there a setting where I can use my wifi at home and turn off just the verizon network so I don't get charged? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Just got my blackberry bold, need help! PLEASE :D
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

For many of these WiFi questions, I am going to refer you to the thread found at this spot.  I will try to answer some more of your questions.

nicsta wrote:

• on the top of the screen it says my house wifi network, does that mean thats what its using to receive data, and not verizons network? Actually, if the 3G Network is showing, you are receiving via both.
  • I went into my mobile network options, and shut off "Data services." What does this do? Does it prevent me from using verizons network if i'm not connected to a wifi? For this, see my post in the other thread 
  • Is there anyway to sign out of my email?You can stop email by going on your device to Email Settings.  Highlight the account you want to stop email(if you have more than one account) and press the Menu Key.  Select Filters. Go to "Do not forward messages to the device and check the little circle in front of that.  You will be then asked to validate by entering your email password.  Enter the password and that is it..no email until you reverse this by changing the selection "Forward messages to this device"
  • Will it automatically connect to a wifi server before verizons own server?Not necessarily..see the before mentioned post about browser configuration for hotspot browser. 
  • Does the phone automatically use a saved wifi? No, your phone does not use the WiFi..strictly the mobile network. 
  • Can I manually update my email inbox? You can send and receive email with WiFi.
  • How do I check my MB usage? On your device, dial #DATA (# 3282)+SEND or use My Verizon app on your phone
  • Does using apps that I download count as data when I use them? When I download them is that data? When you download anything, it is using data.  Using the app, if it is an app such as Facebook or Blackberry Messenger, it will use data. 
  • Is there a setting where I can use my wifi at home and turn off just the verizon network so I don't get charged? See the other post in the other thread I mentioned. 

I hope I have answered your questions.  You have a lot of great questions that a lot of users are curious about.  The bottom line, they want to save money and make sure they don't go over the 150mb usage of data.  Just remember, you can change your plan at any time.  Just remember to tell them to change the data plan and make it retroactive for the current month so you will not be charged.  You can then set it back at no cost when you get to the following month's bill cycle start date.  Good luck, and enjoy your new Blackberry 9650 from Verizon Wireless.

Doc 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

For many of these WiFi questions, I am going to refer you to the thread found at this spot.  I will try to answer some more of your questions.

nicsta wrote:

• on the top of the screen it says my house wifi network, does that mean thats what its using to receive data, and not verizons network? Actually, if the 3G Network is showing, you are receiving via both.
  • I went into my mobile network options, and shut off "Data services." What does this do? Does it prevent me from using verizons network if i'm not connected to a wifi? For this, see my post in the other thread 
  • Is there anyway to sign out of my email?You can stop email by going on your device to Email Settings.  Highlight the account you want to stop email(if you have more than one account) and press the Menu Key.  Select Filters. Go to "Do not forward messages to the device and check the little circle in front of that.  You will be then asked to validate by entering your email password.  Enter the password and that is it..no email until you reverse this by changing the selection "Forward messages to this device"
  • Will it automatically connect to a wifi server before verizons own server?Not necessarily..see the before mentioned post about browser configuration for hotspot browser. 
  • Does the phone automatically use a saved wifi? No, your phone does not use the WiFi..strictly the mobile network. 
  • Can I manually update my email inbox? You can send and receive email with WiFi.
  • How do I check my MB usage? On your device, dial #DATA (# 3282)+SEND or use My Verizon app on your phone
  • Does using apps that I download count as data when I use them? When I download them is that data? When you download anything, it is using data.  Using the app, if it is an app such as Facebook or Blackberry Messenger, it will use data. 
  • Is there a setting where I can use my wifi at home and turn off just the verizon network so I don't get charged? See the other post in the other thread I mentioned. 

I hope I have answered your questions.  You have a lot of great questions that a lot of users are curious about.  The bottom line, they want to save money and make sure they don't go over the 150mb usage of data.  Just remember, you can change your plan at any time.  Just remember to tell them to change the data plan and make it retroactive for the current month so you will not be charged.  You can then set it back at no cost when you get to the following month's bill cycle start date.  Good luck, and enjoy your new Blackberry 9650 from Verizon Wireless.

Doc 

0 Likes
nicsta

OK thanks so much! but one more thing about the apps-  if i'm connect to my wifi, and I use BBM, will it still count as me using data, or will it just use my wifi? 

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1
Hi,

If you are connected just to WiFi, then it will not count against your data plan. Good luck.

Doc
0 Likes