Laptop Broadband from 8830 on European GSM network?
wcelliot

I've been travelling with just my Blackberry and have experienced no issues getting handheld broadband/email/etc on GSM networks in Europe.

However, I recently had to carry my laptop with me and was surprised that I could not use my BB as a tethered modem... the access call it was making was US-only.

I tried Verizon support and they didn't seem to understand the question.

Before I travel again, I'd like to have this sorted... how do I get tethered broadband in Europe? it would seem pretty simple since it's obvious the BB itself is getting it...

Thanks!

Bill

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Laptop Broadband from 8830 on European GSM network?
Michele-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

wcelliot wrote:

I've been traveling with just my Blackberry and have experienced no issues getting handheld broadband/email/etc on GSM networks in Europe.

However, I recently had to carry my laptop with me and was surprised that I could not use my BB as a tethered modem... the access call it was making was US-only.

I tried Verizon support and they didn't seem to understand the question.

Before I travel again, I'd like to have this sorted... how do I get tethered broadband in Europe? it would seem pretty simple since it's obvious the BB itself is getting it...

Thanks!

Bill

This will take a little searching on my end but I am confident we can come up with the correct answer.  The first few questions:

1.  Do you have international dialing?

2.  What countries will you be visiting? 

3.  What phone do you have and what OS version are you running?

4.  Do you currently have tethering on the phone and have you used it within the US?

OK once I hear back from you I can get someone in our international department to help us with the best solution for you!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Laptop Broadband from 8830 on European GSM network?
wcelliot

Thank you for the reply.

In answer to your questions:

1.  Do you have international dialing? Yes. Phone works fine in Italy and I have email and internet access on the phone while there.

2.  What countries will you be visiting? Italy, the UK, and possibly Rwanda over the next 12 months.

3.  What phone do you have and what OS version are you running? Blackberry 8830 and running Windows XP SP2

4.  Do you currently have tethering on the phone and have you used it within the US? Yes, works fine in the US.

Thanks!

Bill

0 Likes