My Verizon Tour is a disaster - how can I switch to Bold before my upgrade?
Jondavis1974
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last year, the Tour has been my living nightmare. I went through 4 different tours. Between bad track balls and poor reception, none of them have worked properly. 

The phone drops out all the time in my home. I live in a sunny apt. My fiancee's Iphone works fine...my old World Phone - which is too dilapidated to switch back to - worked fine. I seriously think it's the Tour phone.

I'm a freelancer going through tough times. It's additionally inconvenient that my Tour forces me outside my house to make and receive business calls in fear of the frequent call drop.

I don't have a ton of disposable income, so I've been sticking it out.  BUT  with this new Bold coming out, it looks like it could solve my problems if I could perhaps just try it... however, my upgrade doesn't come until 13 months after I bought the Tour... which is next August.  Two more months of running outside when I need to talk to someone important.

While it's true that I'd rather have a Verizon BB over an ATT Iphone, I'd rather an Iphone that works over a BB that doesn't. And I'm tempted to take advantage of the 99 dollar Iphones at Walmart.

Does anyone have any tips to help get me an earlier upgrade before Verizon loses me as a customer?  I really don't want to switch but I called Verizon, told them my situation - and they were polite but their solution was "wait it out for another two months." I guess they want me to complete my Tour penance.  It was kind of disheartening.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My Verizon Tour is a disaster - how can I switch to Bold before my upgrade?
Jondavis1974
Enthusiast - Level 2

I must say, I wrote three letters to Verizon.  The first response was a form letter and I responded with a firm but probably a bit more of an aggravated tone.  I felt bad about that because my problems aren't not the Verizon's representatives fault, so I sent a quick "sorry about my tone" follow up...

lo and behold, they wrote me a very understanding email back and awarded me an early upgrade.  I knew I didn't want to have to leave Verizon!  They were great, let's hope that the Bold doesn't have the same fluctuating signal problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Brandiscollins

I am in the same boat, 5th tour.... 4 track balls, 1 speaker quit working.

Now no email for like a week. While my wifes curve has been getting email the entire time.

I asked for an early upgrade to stay at verizon and was politely told no, but you are welcome to pay $130 termination fee and go else where if you prefer.

Really verizon has gotten so big it no longer needs or wants its customers that are paying upwards of $1400 a year per line for services?

Give me a BREAK....

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
How much do you need the smartphone features? Can you buy a cheap regular phone off eBay until your upgrade? If times are tough, maybe you'll enjoy saving $30/month. I freelance from home too, and really don't absolutely need a smartphone since I'm always near a computer.
0 Likes
Jondavis1974
Enthusiast - Level 2

It reminds me of my Windows Vista experience.  I was humming along of Windows XP;  I made the mistake of going to Windows Vista, and then everything I took for granted turned into a customer service nightmare.  I hated being the complain-y guy, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't send back food in a restaurant unless the mistake is egregious.  Without quite intending to, customer service made me feel it would be better to start over with a new OS.

In this case, I'm also simply asking for the service to work again... and I think the early upgrade would be the best shot at doing the trick.  The parallel would would be if Microsoft had discounted Windows 7 after Vista had ruined my life. 

I suppose I could try going off data entirely.  Do you guys know a good phone that would be cheap?  The Verizon/Blackberry combo that worked so well a year ago is not really justifying it's 120 dollar a month price.  Like the Vista situation, without intending to - because the Verizon reps have been very polite - they're making me feel like they would prefer me to start over with another carrier.

Ugh.

0 Likes
Jondavis1974
Enthusiast - Level 2

I must say, I wrote three letters to Verizon.  The first response was a form letter and I responded with a firm but probably a bit more of an aggravated tone.  I felt bad about that because my problems aren't not the Verizon's representatives fault, so I sent a quick "sorry about my tone" follow up...

lo and behold, they wrote me a very understanding email back and awarded me an early upgrade.  I knew I didn't want to have to leave Verizon!  They were great, let's hope that the Bold doesn't have the same fluctuating signal problem.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Congrats! Could not have turned out better, I'd say. Enjoy your new Bold ... I'm envious!

0 Likes