My bold keeps re-starting by itself.
dalano73
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I updated my bold to the 6.0 O/S, it has been doing random re-starts, now its becoming a problem for me. It has restarted 5 times today and twice in the past 30 minutes. Is there something I can do to stop this from happening?

Thanks

D'marcus

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: My bold keeps re-starting by itself.
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

If you have never downgraded a Blackberry before, it is not a problem.  It just takes a little time.  Just make sure you have about an hour to perform the task.  The instructions are as follows:

How to Downgrade Your Blackberry OS

1. Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) installed on your computer. You can download it for free at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/ for PC or Mac.

2. Download the OS you wish to downgrade to and install that file on your computer. It will integrate with BDM.  You can download the file from Verizon at http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.net/download/firmware/BB9650MR2/9650_512cmpttAMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel1600...

to your computer. 

3. Backup your contacts, settings, and personal files on your Blackberry with BDM. This will save you from losing your contact list and other personal information.

4. To begin the downgrade process, start BDM with your Blackberry attached to your computer via the supplied cable.

5. Once BDM has started and you are at the main screen, click on Application Loader and then Update Software.

6. After the BDM reads information from your Blackberry, you will be presented with a list of available updates. Select the version you wish to install by checking the box next to the version and click Next.

7. After the BDM reads your device, the process will start. Once started, follow the prompts and do not unplug your device or the installation will become corrupted. The process will take 25-30 minutes to complete. When the installation is complete, you will receive a message from BDM stating so.

8. You may have to reinstall some programs such as Blackberry App World, special themes, or games you purchased. If you backed up your device, you can now allow BDM to restore your files.

9. To restore files and settings, go to the main screen on BDM and select Backup and Restore and then select Restore.

10. You will be prompted for the backup file from earlier, which by default has the date in the name of the file. Once completed you will be shown a message stating it is complete.

It is important to not unplug your device during the process, or the downgrade will be corrupted.  I hope this helps.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I started a thread about this problem shortly after the new operating system OS 6 was released for the Bold 9650.  The thread can be found at http://community.vzw.com/t5/BlackBerry-Devices/Bold-9650-with-OS-6-and-Random-Reboots/m-p/424654#M20... if you want to read it. 

The solution I have found was to not use the latest OS.  I downgraded my Bold to OS v 5.0.0.975 and I have no problems with the random restarts.  The problem, I believe, is in the software for the OS 6 in that there is a problem with some of the radio files, causing the signal to fluccuate thus causing the random reboots.  If you need help in downgrading your device, let us know here in the forums.  Hopefully soon there will be a software upgrade to fix the problem.  Hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
dalano73
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks DOC I will try the downgrade.

0 Likes
dalano73
Enthusiast - Level 2

So how do I downgrade? the thread you have does not tell me how to do it. I can't take the constant reloads any longer. My bold has been restarting 1-2 times per hour now...

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

If you have never downgraded a Blackberry before, it is not a problem.  It just takes a little time.  Just make sure you have about an hour to perform the task.  The instructions are as follows:

How to Downgrade Your Blackberry OS

1. Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) installed on your computer. You can download it for free at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/ for PC or Mac.

2. Download the OS you wish to downgrade to and install that file on your computer. It will integrate with BDM.  You can download the file from Verizon at http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.net/download/firmware/BB9650MR2/9650_512cmpttAMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel1600...

to your computer. 

3. Backup your contacts, settings, and personal files on your Blackberry with BDM. This will save you from losing your contact list and other personal information.

4. To begin the downgrade process, start BDM with your Blackberry attached to your computer via the supplied cable.

5. Once BDM has started and you are at the main screen, click on Application Loader and then Update Software.

6. After the BDM reads information from your Blackberry, you will be presented with a list of available updates. Select the version you wish to install by checking the box next to the version and click Next.

7. After the BDM reads your device, the process will start. Once started, follow the prompts and do not unplug your device or the installation will become corrupted. The process will take 25-30 minutes to complete. When the installation is complete, you will receive a message from BDM stating so.

8. You may have to reinstall some programs such as Blackberry App World, special themes, or games you purchased. If you backed up your device, you can now allow BDM to restore your files.

9. To restore files and settings, go to the main screen on BDM and select Backup and Restore and then select Restore.

10. You will be prompted for the backup file from earlier, which by default has the date in the name of the file. Once completed you will be shown a message stating it is complete.

It is important to not unplug your device during the process, or the downgrade will be corrupted.  I hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
miliya

I have been having the same problem with my storm, but the storm does not have the new software that you guys are talking about, I have the software that you all are trying to downgrade to. I wonder if I need to downgrade my storm.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

miliya wrote:

I have been having the same problem with my storm, but the storm does not have the new software that you guys are talking about, I have the software that you all are trying to downgrade to. I wonder if I need to downgrade my storm.

Hi, Miliya,

The software link I gave to the previoius user was for the Bold 9650.  It will only work for the 9650.  If you have a Storm, you can go to Verizon's software download page and see if there is an upgrade for your device.  The link for the download page is at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/ and you should be able to find your model.  Once you get to the download page for your particular model, in your case Storm 2, you will see a link for downgrading your software.  It is located at the bottom of that page just above the red "Download Now" button.  The steps for downgrading your device would be the same as I gave in my previous post, only you will download and install the software applicable to your Storm 2.  I hope this fixes your problem.

Doc

0 Likes
mcraddock3

Hello All,

I too am having the same issues!  I cant even place a phone call without it re-booting!  With everyone having issues I seriously doubt tht it is "our device" but anyways, I am beyond aggervated!  When I remove my battery for a hard reset it just causes it to run slower!  I need HELP before I throw this phone out into the Kanawah River!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

mcraddock3 wrote:

Hello All,

I too am having the same issues!  I cant even place a phone call without it re-booting!  With everyone having issues I seriously doubt tht it is "our device" but anyways, I am beyond aggervated!  When I remove my battery for a hard reset it just causes it to run slower!  I need HELP before I throw this phone out into the Kanawah River!

Hi,

I see from your online profile you have a Blackberry Curve.  I have not heard of any problems with the Curve and random restarts.  However, you might want to consider making sure you are running the latest OS software for your device.  If you have the Curve 2, 8350 you can hop over to the support site for that device at http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5091  Hope that helps,

Doc

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you have the Blackberry Bold and it keeps restarting itself after the software update, most likely it is an application that was downloaded on the old software that is not compatible with the new software.  Working in tech, that was one of the main things that I noticed caused resets on phone.  For example, if you downloaded XProgram_nameX version 1.5.22.1 for the old operating system, then did a software update to the new 6.0 OS and that XProgram_nameX version 1.5.22.1carried over when the compatible version XProgram_nameX version 2.0.00.1, it could cause the phone to reset.  What program could cause this?  It is trial and error (hit or miss).   If you do not want to figure out what application is causing this, I would back up your contacts and pertinent information only, wipe the phone by going under options>security options> security wipe (don't check the box for SD card), and retest.  

Master resetting the phone should resolve intermittent reset options for sure.  Let us know if this fixes your problem. 

0 Likes