NO OS 6 for Storm2
curiousgb
Enthusiast - Level 3

Man this irritates me. I am really disappointed I bought this because it was new and I new they would be upgrading OS's. Now after 6 months of HYPE we find they left us out. Now we have to buy a new phone. I am done with BB's.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: NO OS 6 for Storm2
curiousgb
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem solved. I now own a Droid X and couldn't be happier. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

curiousgb wrote:

Man this irritates me. I am really disappointed I bought this because it was new and I new they would be upgrading OS's. Now after 6 months of HYPE we find they left us out. Now we have to buy a new phone. I am done with BB's.  

I don't think you are alone.  There has been allot of talk this very poor decision by RIM is going to hurt them some in the pocket book.

0 Likes
newshutr

You have no idea how **bleep** off I am. I called customer service/tech support.  Got (and I quote) "Well...after 6 months a phone is considered a "grandfather device and is obsolete.."

Really?  So for a 2 year contract, I'm using an obsolete device but still have to use the darn thing for 2 years?  Even AFTER VZW has EOL (end of lifed) it under less than a year..

VZW stopped testing BlackBerry 6 on the S2...

What a bunch of **bleep**

RIM screwed up as well. 

Think my Storm 2's are my last BlackBerry devices... They may have lost my loyalty forever..

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Here is the official word from RIM and BlackBerry.  I'm curious as to why none of the VZW CS folks have commented on here yet about it. Guess they are busy handling the complaints from a few million Storm owners because from what I've heard and read RIM is not responding to calls or emails from the Storm 2 folks.

http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=4237

0 Likes
madysdad07

This is not completely true yet... its just not compatible this week... it conflicts with verizon... However it is still being worked on by both ends. However if not within a month of release. I also will gladly pay retail price to upgrade early....i just hate motorola products they are junk and batteries dont last... its all hype.. at least BB has been dependable for years...

0 Likes
chryo4096

What!?!?  The Torch is just the Storm 2 with a Slide-Out Keyboard!  Why the heck wouldn't the 9550 get OS 6 too?

0 Likes
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

OS 6 bb devices need 512 MB of memory to run according to rim.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Butthead wrote:

OS 6 bb devices need 512 MB of memory to run according to rim.

Not exactly correct there are a couple units with 256 capable of running OS6.  Think the issue is with the touchscreen requires more memory to operate than traditional unit.

0 Likes
newshutr

The thing is..

They say it's the surepress that is the problem...if that's the case, how do the developers of Opera Web Browser make it so you don't need to press down to activate icons and links?  Seems that it would be simple enough.

Think RIM would have that tech.

And I've posted this elsewhere...  When RIM introduced 5.0 over 4.7 for the Storm 1, they were able to add MB's to the devide..(well, not add but give back used up MB space..).  You'd think that OS 6 would be able to do that as well.

Plus all the videos they showed with OS 6...we're of a Touchscreen variety.  Only TS devices out when they announced OS 6 were the S1 and S2.  Seems like RIM pulled the old bait and switch..

I remember when Apple announced OS 10.6.  Then when they released it, they said it wouldn't run on six month old Mac's..

Oh wait a second...THEY DIDN'T... IT RUNS GREAT..

I know..I know..a stretch to make a point..but the analogy is appropriate.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

newshutr wrote:

The thing is..

They say it's the surepress that is the problem...if that's the case, how do the developers of Opera Web Browser make it so you don't need to press down to activate icons and links?   

Very good point. I have wondered that myself  when I gave Opera Mini a try.

0 Likes