0 Likes
Re: OS 6
aspragg

thanks....that's upsetting but oh well

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

For download instructions on the software update click here http://support.vzw.com/system_update/bb_bold.html

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks Casonia - instructions in the link you provided say to upgrade to 5.0.0.1644 and then do the OTA upgrade to 6.0  -

"Please note that if you choose to upgrade your BlackBerry Bold to BlackBerry 6 via Over The Air Software loading, you must first upgrade to 5.0.0 release 1644."

It also states that the OTA update is approx 117 MB, so for those of us with the 150 MB limit, downloading and updating through DM would be the way to go.  And that note says: "If you want to update directly to Blackberry 6 in one step, connect your phone to your PC and use the web based, or Desktop Manager software loading options highlighted below."

I've already managed to brick my new BOLD once - so forgive the "newbie" questions - all this means is that if I use Desktop Manager to install the upgrade to 6.0, I can go directly from my current version, 5.0.0.975, to 6.0, without the intermediate step of upgrading to 5.0.0.1644, correct?

Thanks for any guidance you can give....I'm am still very much new to this and appreciate all the help I can get!!

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1
Suzy,

That is correct.
0 Likes
Re: OS 6 it's finally here......
njrcjc

Yes, I just loaded the official OS 6 on my Bold 9650.  I can finally browse without the browser hanging.  Wow, this is incredible, Is this how long it takes BB and RIM to make a usable browser?  Fairly disappointing.

Anyway .... a few words of warning.

I followed the instructions from the verzion site which directed me to the blackberry site.

After OS 6 was loaded (this took about 14 mins .. be patient) ... and don't touch anything while it's upgrading)

My Contacts were wiped out.

My applications were wiped out.

Any folders I set up were gone.

My pictures survived. (I think they were on the sd card).

Recovering after the blast .....

Then there was an error trying to reinstall the verizon back up assistant.  Got around that. Loaded my apps that got deleted, wet up my mail apps ...  and finally the phone is back to where I left it

It's totally worth it .. since the browsing is now fixed!!!!! This browser supports HTML5 also ... yes ... this update brought this phone into the 20th century .... maybe OS 7 will bring us to the 21st.

The UI is very good.  It will take a few minutes to get use to, however, they did a good job overall .. even for this Non touch screen device.  If you have a torch, the changes are even better (touch screen).

Blackberry has the most superior hard keyboard (and scroll button) in the industry .. even for my fat fingers.

0 Likes
AIvy

Did you have any issues with MMS...my ability to compose them is completely gone.  I have it in the service books but cannot actually send or recieve them.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Alvy,

Check the other post concerning MMS that you posted.  I have the answer there for you.

Doc

0 Likes
Re: OS 6 for 9550?
Storm2Ronco

Is OS 6 for the 9550 Available?

0 Likes
Re: OS 6 for 9550?
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Storm2Ronco wrote:

Is OS 6 for the 9550 Available?

Nope, this model does not have the processor speed/RAM to support OS 6.0 (per RIM).

0 Likes