OS question
carey

I have the Desktop Manager installed on my computer along with the last OS link.  My Dad also has a blackberry, not sure what model and he is clueless.....can I plug his blackberry into my computer and upload the most up to date OS that I have installed on my computer?  If so, how can I make sure he doesn't receive all my contacts, etc.?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: OS question
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

carey wrote:

I have the Desktop Manager installed on my computer along with the last OS link.  My Dad also has a blackberry, not sure what model and he is clueless.....can I plug his blackberry into my computer and upload the most up to date OS that I have installed on my computer?  If so, how can I make sure he doesn't receive all my contacts, etc.?

Thanks!

If you upgrade his OS your contacts will not go to his device.  Contacts are either entered manually or restored from a backup.

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

The previous post is correct in that updating the OS and restoring contacts, etc are two different operations. BUT, when you install an OS, all your contacts, email and other stuff may disappear. Just to be safe, I would find your latest backup and rename it. Back up your dad's phone using DM. Rename your dad's backup with a unique name. I know that DM names their backups with the date and it should be easy to keep them separate, but I would do as I described above, just to avoid confusion. Then update your dad's OS followed and restore all his stuff from his backup.

Two things to remember: 1. You should always backup your phone before updating your OS. 2. Unless you've downloaded the new leaked DM6, Desktop Manager 5 will only backup your core OS and add-on apps (email, contacts, memopad, etc). You will need another program to back up 3rd party apps.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

SoccerRef wrote:

The previous post is correct in that updating the OS and restoring contacts, etc are two different operations. BUT, when you install an OS, all your contacts, email and other stuff may disappear. Just to be safe, I would find your latest backup and rename it. Back up your dad's phone using DM. Rename your dad's backup with a unique name. I know that DM names their backups with the date and it should be easy to keep them separate, but I would do as I described above, just to avoid confusion. Then update your dad's OS followed and restore all his stuff from his backup.

Two things to remember: 1. You should always backup your phone before updating your OS. 2. Unless you've downloaded the new leaked DM6, Desktop Manager 5 will only backup your core OS and add-on apps (email, contacts, memopad, etc). You will need another program to back up 3rd party apps.

BBSAK is a good program for backing up your third party apps.

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

The easiest thing to do if you want to install the latest VZW approved OS on you dad's phone is to take to your local VZW store and ask them to update the OS. They would do it for you no problem. While your at it, ask them to clean your track ball. I have them do this every few months.

0 Likes