Obvious software issues with Storm 5.0 upgrade and charging
DentonRealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is Verizon or BB working on a fix for the charging issues that are obviously part of the 5.0 upgrade?  We have two Storm phones and both started having charging issues as soon as they were updated.  Does not matter whether it is plugged directly to wall with the in home charger or if I use the dock on my computer.  It is intermitten as to whether it will charge up.  Hard to believe that both phones and everyone else on this forums phone charger port went bad shortly after the update.  It must be something to do with the 5.0 OS. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Obvious software issues with Storm 5.0 upgrade and charging
Chestnut

I have an issue with my battery life now after installing the OS 5.0 upgrade.  I installed it a couple weeks ago and the next day my battery life was roughly 3 to 4 hours.  I gave it a couple days but it never got better so I downgraded to version 4.7.  Just last night I thought I'd give it another try so I reloaded version 5.0.  I removed my phone from the charger at about 7:30 am and now at 4:30 pm the battery life is vitrually gone.  Technically it's an improvement but talk about frustrating!  If anyone has an answer I'd appreciate hearing it.  Otherwise it'll be back to version 4.7. 

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Nope, not a Software Problem in 5.0, I installed my 5.0 from my Imac and it wiped the device first, then installed a new copy of 5.0. most problems are because device wasn't completly wiped of a opperating system first.

Known Bugs in 5.0

1) Bluetooth Voice dialing is hit and miss

Themes not displaying correct, (white Bars) 5.0 not compatible with older Plasmic themes.

Mine works PERFECTLY as do most others except for the bluetooth thing. You might try draining the battery completly (untill phone shuts down), then recharge, do this a few times to restore the memory in the battery

0 Likes
JCM
Enthusiast - Level 3
Absolutely correcto MACPAPA, drain the battery every 3or,4 of full charge and memory comes back, also after update take battery out for 1 minute, like you said only happens when updated then batt pull for 1 min then try drain if Still the same. should do it. got it, alright C-YA
0 Likes
DentonRealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Funny that two separate phones had the same issue, and numerous other people on the forums are having problems with charging as well just after upgrading.  One thread even admits to a flaw in the software and charging on USB but does not show a solution. My issue is not with battery life, but just getting the phone to charge at times is a major hassle.

0 Likes
JCM
Enthusiast - Level 3
have you tried in downgrade and reload or try a fresh OS 5.0.0.328 download and delete recent..and redownload. I really hope you get your smartphone up in running, Its marvelous when everything runs smooth blackberry storm. Have A Great Day .
0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

You need to make sure the device is completely wiped of EVERYTHING before installing 5.0, Desktop manager for Mac deletes everything and then installs a new system to the device. Windows Version should too. If not use BBSAK to wipe the device before installing.

After installed, everything should work fine except for Two things.

One is the Bluetooth I talked about in previous post

Second I forgot last time, but it is the Landscape screen dim problem.

Those are the only two problems you should have after a correct install of the software.

0 Likes
DentonRealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I put the phones in the cradle and allowed the desktop manager to do the install, so I am assuming it wiped it after it did the back up.  It went thru several steps during the upgrade.  Is there a support site with steps to clean it before installing the upgrade.  One other issue I have found is the dial by voice, it can not get the correct name.  Nothing to do with blue tooth as I have it turned off.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

DentonRealtor wrote:

I put the phones in the cradle and allowed the desktop manager to do the install, so I am assuming it wiped it after it did the back up.  It went thru several steps during the upgrade.  Is there a support site with steps to clean it before installing the upgrade.  One other issue I have found is the dial by voice, it can not get the correct name.  Nothing to do with blue tooth as I have it turned off.

to know for sure the system is completely wiped, during the installation you should get a white screen at some point in the install with a square box in the middle with 507 in the box (507 error = no operating system found during boot) it should then tell you on desktop manager it's installing the operating system and not to unplug you phone until completely finished. If it doesn't you can wipe the phone yourself using BBSAK (Blackberry Swiss Army Knife) a free download online. And then install.

0 Likes
Chestnut

Alright.  It's been 2 days since I retried your recommendation and my battery life is similar to what it was before the upgrade.  Thank you for the advice on ensuring the OS was completely wiped.  I'm happy again.  Thanks!

0 Likes