Online Verizon vs.. local store
jakelndhs

I recently purchased the BB Tour and got the Storm 2 for my wife - under the same account. We noticed online that this combination qualified for the BOGO deal!! Went to our local provider store and they would NOT honor this same deal. SAD! We asked if we could order them online then - they said we could but then they would not longer be able to help us with any issues that may come up in the future b/c now we would be under 'corporate' Verizon. OK........ Now upset........but we got our phones anyway b/c we wanted/needed them! we were previous Alltel customers so we were both able to get our phones with the mail in rebates. However after talking with some friends, that they had ordered phones online and said it was VERY easy to activate them and still can get local services - no questions asked.

I truly feel like we were misled if this is true and also got screwed out of $100 bucks in paying for the BB Tour when we should have been able to get that one for free with the purchase of the Storm2!! UGH!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Online Verizon vs.. local store
Chesterface

You probably went to an indirect retailer/authorized retailer?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

What the store told you is not true. I can go to either the corporate Verizon store, or even the small agent store, in my area, and they help me with whatever problems I have with my handsets or account. And I have Alltel handsets!

I did notice the small store has higher pricing than the corp store, and the phones aren't able to be used, so it's more of an independent retailer situation. Is that what you experienced? But they still help me! What a load they gave you.

0 Likes
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

Unfortunately, that's what some of the sales people are telling customers in order to get their commission.  It isn't a true statement as I purchased my handset from a major retail store and get service in my local VZW store.  If it were me, I would lodge a complaint with their manager and district manager to, hopefully, prevent the sales people from saying such things.

0 Likes
MambaFace

From what I understand, you can purchase your phone from an authorized reseller, but if you need the phone replaced, or you need a refund on that phone within 30 days, you need to go back to the authorized reseller.  After 30 days, I believe that a corporate Verizon Wireless store would be able to replace your phone, troubleshoot, etc.  Lodge as many complaints as you want, but that policy has been in place for a long time.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I agree with Devs_Advocate ... I don't think Verizon corporate would like a  Verizon-branded store to be telling people they can't get service unless they buy in the store. Furthermore, some of the prices in these stores are higher than you'd pay online or in a corporate store; they must set their own pricing if they're independent. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know if it would be worth it to return them though. You'd have to wait a few days until your account is reset, then order online. But if you have old phones you can use, and you have a corporate store somewhere in your area you can go to for help when it arises, even if not as conveniently located, then I would think about it for $100.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Devs_Advocate wrote:

Unfortunately, that's what some of the sales people are telling customers in order to get their commission.  It isn't a true statement as I purchased my handset from a major retail store and get service in my local VZW store.  If it were me, I would lodge a complaint with their manager and district manager to, hopefully, prevent the sales people from saying such things.

Agreed. A business card for the district manager should be available somewhere on a desk or counter. If not you can ask for one, they HAVE to provide it to you. Ask nicely though, it always helps to be courteous. 

Also, it is true that indirect agents or authorized resellers of Verizon Wireless may not honor the Buy One Get One offer. They have the ability to make their own pricing offers and promotions, sometimes they're better than VZW directly, sometimes they're not. 

Indirect agents may also have different terms in their contracts. Or an additional fee of their own on top of an Early Termination Fee from Verizon Wireless directly. So when purchasing from these locations just be sure to read the fine print and know what you're agreeing to when you ink your signature. 

0 Likes