Problems with Verizon Backup Assistant
larco

I started using Backup Assistant when google synch and my Blackberry Bold created over 30,000 duplicates of my contacts and hundreds of duplicates of my appointments.  So, I had to dump google synch, which was generic to any device and switch to Blackberry's Protect (for all data) and Verizon's Backup Assistant (for contacts).

The first problem is that Blackberry's Protect only backups your data so I cannot edit or purge the 29,000 or so duplicate contacts and the hundreds of duplicated appointments.  But, I was able to get rid of google sync for something that actually worked.

Next, I started using Verizon's Backup Assistant, but it only handles contacts and not any calendars.  To edit the contacts Verizon tech support told me to log in (I had to create a separate user name than the one I use for my account) and I would be able to view and slowly, but accurately, manage and correct "my contact mess" from my browser.

The Backup Assistant will back up my contacts but every time I try to view my contacts from my browser the Verizon web site says that I must configure "synch and connect" (I did the first time) and I cannot get past that pop up window.  I called Verizon tech support and they confirmed that they get the same response, but stated they had no solution and they would call me back at some date in the future.

So, my question is how can I actually get into my contacts on the Verizon site and get the required editing completed to restore an accurate contact list in my Blackberry?  Verizon tech support has no clue about what to do so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

BTW, the 30,000 contacts in my Blackberry makes for a very slow device where it takes about 2 - 5 seconds to get a response to any keyboard command or button.  This is very frustrating, but I have to live with this problem until I can reduce the contact list - by editing.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problems with Verizon Backup Assistant
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hey larco! Thanks for the very thorough explanation of what you've been going through to try to get this matter resolved. Based on your explanation, I gather that your contacts have been loaded to My Verizon through Backup Assistant. I'm uncertain on one thing, though. Can you or can't you see your contacts? If you can, then you can export your contacts from My Verizon Backup Assistant to a different medium. Once looking at your list of contacts, click the "Select All" link above your list. This will put checkmarks next to all of your contacts, and change "Select All" to "Select None". Just to the right of "Select None, is a drop box with an arrow in it. Click on it, and you'll be given an option to "Export Contacts". Choose that option and you'll be able to export your contacts to your computer (in a .csv file, readable by Outlook and Excel), export to email (POP3 accounts like Gmail, Yahoo!), or export to Mac. 

0 Likes
Re: Problems with Verizon Backup Assistant
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

larco wrote:

... The first problem is that Blackberry's Protect only backups your data so I cannot edit or purge the 29,000 or so duplicate contacts and the hundreds of duplicated appointments.  But, I was able to get rid of google sync for something that actually worked.

So, my question is how can I actually get into my contacts on the Verizon site and get the required editing completed to restore an accurate contact list in my Blackberry?  Verizon tech support has no clue about what to do so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

The workaround I am going to propose does NOT involve Backup Assistant (which I am finding is not the best solution for a BB, even though it has served me well in the past.)  Download and install Blackberry Desktop Manager on your computer (it's free) from RIM, and when you first hook up with your BB it will back up things.

Then, set up an Outlook account (even if it's a "dummy" account that you will use just for the BB backup, or even just for this little exercise).  On BB Desktop, go to the Organizer, and sync with the Outlook acct you just created.  You should then be able to edit the contact list in Outlook, and sync back up to the BB with the edited list.  You  can do the calendar in Outlook as well, with the Organizer.  I just tried it with mine, and it works well.  You can sync the changes one way or two way, and choose to REPLACE all data on the receiving device with the Outlook data, which would effectively erase all the duplicates and leave you with just the ocntacts you have in the Outlook account.  You can also resolve any conflicts that occur, choose which "wins" if there is a conflict....give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

0 Likes