Red LED flashes continuously
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have the BlackBerry Bold 9650, it's a CPO purchased a year ago, used off and on till June, and has been my primary phone since June.  Up to now it's been fine, and I've gradually added apps and goodies...  Anyway, the last couple of days, it seems when I get a phone call my LED will flash red, endlessly.  I cannot find a way to get it to stop short of pulling the battery, and my battery depletes quickly if I don't do this.  **additional info - the touchpad becomes very sluggish as well, once I receive a phone call after a battery pull.  This is getting to be a bit more than an annoyance, having to pull the battery after every phone call.  Smiley Sad

There have been numerous app updates the last couple of days too, and one was for BeBuzz, so I'm thinking maybe that's the culprit.  It seems to be working normally though (the customized lights for contacts I have set do work) and I've gone through settings and don't see what it could be.

Anyone else have any ideas?  Or a simpler/faster way to get that red LED to stop flashing? I checked all messages, emails, missed calls, etc and I cannot figure out what is making the LED blink so I can shut it off!!

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: Red LED flashes continuously
Not applicable

Hi SuzyQ! I'm used to you resolving everyone else's issues, so I'll be more than happy to help you with your Blackberry. First, I just want to make sure you have the latest software version on your Bold, which was released 1/10. If not, here are some options to manually download the update and also a list of the benefits of the update. If you do have the update already, do you notice this starting afterwards?

Do you have any missed calls, voicemails or new emails when this happens? Try removing BeBuzz to see if the LED is still flashing and keypad sluggish after receiving calls.

I have not seen any other reports of this issue. If the issue is still occurring after updating software and removing BeBuzz, then I suggest backing up the phone and completing a security wipe on the Blackberry. Make sure to test making and receiving calls before restoring your data, to make sure no corrupt data is restored. I would recommend backing up just the important info like contacts, calendar, emails, etc.

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

MarquiaF_VZW wrote:

Hi SuzyQ! I'm used to you resolving everyone else's issues, (LOL, yeah, me too!) so I'll be more than happy to help you with your Blackberry. First, I just want to make sure you have the latest software version on your Bold, which was released 1/10. I believe that update was for the 9930 - I've got the 9650.  I am running OS 6.0 and it says my software is up to date.  If not, here are some options to manually download the update and also a list of the benefits of the update. If you do have the update already, do you notice this starting afterwards?

Do you have any missed calls, voicemails or new emails when this happens? No, I check all of those and cannot find anything I haven't opened or checked!  That's the frustrating part - not knowing why that light is flashing so I can turn it off. Try removing BeBuzz to see if the LED is still flashing and keypad sluggish after receiving calls. I may just have to do that, though I'm using the paid version - I'll back up all my contacts first because I do NOT want to have to set them all up again.  I don't get a lot of phone calls - mostly text and email, but it's annoying when it happens.

I have not seen any other reports of this issue. If the issue is still occurring after updating software and removing BeBuzz, then I suggest backing up the phone and completing a security wipe on the Blackberry. Smiley Sad  Would really rather not go there if I don't have to! Make sure to test making and receiving calls before restoring your data, to make sure no corrupt data is restored. I would recommend backing up just the important info like contacts, calendar, emails, etc.

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Thanks for the response Marquia - I was just thinking it hasn't happened today, but then, I haven't gotten a phone call today either.  So it may still be an issue.  I think I'll wait a few more days and see if it continues to happen or if it was just a weird glitch.  I really am enjoying the Bold, and this is really the first problem I've come up against!  I'll let you know when / if it gets resolved and what works or doesn't work.

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

SuzyQ,

I would recommend you backup all your settings with Desktop Manager, backup all 3rd party apps with BBSAK, and reload your OS. It is not a big deal to do this & the whole back up/re-install shouldn't take more than an hour. I have found reloading the OS resolves 90% of the issues. Also, check your free memory...might be an issue. I try to keep mine above 250 MB. Good luck!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I backup with BB Protect regularly; not sure if that does all the third party apps though. Like most, I suppose, I get lazy about backup until I need it.  I'll look into BBSAK - I downloaded it but haven't done anything with it yet but it sounds like it will backup all my apps (settings?) too.

My free memory is between 215 and 220 MB pretty consistently as reported by Quick Pull - I store most stuff on the SD card.  Thanks for the advice, SoccerRef!

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

BB Protect backs up only what it says it will: emails, tasks, contacts, calendar, etc.; DM backs those up and your settings; BBSAK backs up your 3rd party apps (careful to 'install cods' instead of 'restore from backup' though). Some apps, BBM & AppWorld may not get backed up/restored through BBSAK, but can easily be restored via BB Mobile.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

SoccerRef wrote:

SuzyQ,

I would recommend you backup all your settings with Desktop Manager, backup all 3rd party apps with BBSAK, and reload your OS. It is not a big deal to do this & the whole back up/re-install shouldn't take more than an hour. I have found reloading the OS resolves 90% of the issues. Also, check your free memory...might be an issue. I try to keep mine above 250 MB. Good luck!

I'm going to take the time to do this over the weekend. I've found that the red LED flashes for several minutes after a phone call and then seems to stop of it's own accord after awhile.  It doesn't matter if I have another LED color set for the caller or no specific setting - when I hang up the red LED flashes for a few minutes after any phone call.

So, I'll back it all up, reinstall the OS, and see what happens.  Thanks for the advice!

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Is it still flashing red?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

SoccerRef wrote:

Is it still flashing red?

Yep, but I haven't reinstalled the OS either.  (The weekend is over and it didn't get done!!) 

It only seems to flash for like 5 mintes after a call.  Then it stops, and I can't get it to stop no way, no how.  Since it DOES stop on it's own, and it takes just about as long to reboot the phone, I'm living with the flashing, for now.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see there is a new "bundle" out for the 9650 OS 6 - I am going to back up as you suggested using DM and BBSAK, then install the new bundle this afternoon.  The red LED flashes if I initiate a call or if I receive a call (I have been on the phone more than usual this week, so I've seen that red flashing light waaaaay too much!) and though it does go away on it's own, it's puzzling, and I'd like it to stop.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes