Register with BES server without Enterprise data plan
xarfox

I read on this forum that there is a few ways to register with your company's BES even if you have the standard 29.99 data plan. The limitation is that you have to be connected to your company's lan, and perform the registration while on the lan.

In order to register remotely, you must purchase the 44.99 enterprise data plan, which I do not want to do.

Both verizon support and my helpdesk is telling me they can't do it, but I found instructions on this. Can it be done? Am I missing something?

http://support.opt3.com/KB/a45/activate-blackberry-using-blackberry-enterprise-server.aspx

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Register with BES server without Enterprise data plan
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I tend to agree with DOC, I have EXCHANGE server setup and working on my Bold with my company email working fine with BIS, But as long as I can remember a Blackberry can be registered either BIS, or BES not both at the same time. I think it has to do with the PIN only being able to be registered to one at a time. If you need company email on your BB, see if they have a HTTPS EXCHANGE address you can log into.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

To answer your question, it can not be done unless you have the BES plan added to your account, which is currently $44.99/month.  If I read the article you mentioned in your post correctly, it states the following:

Note: BlackBerry smartphones cannot be activated over the wireless network or the organization's Wi-Fi® network if they have a data plan for BlackBerry Internet Service only.

I read that as if you have a Blackberry that is currently on a data plan (BIS), the regular individual data plan, you can not activate your device.  Hope this helps,

Doc

0 Likes
xarfox

You have not read the entire article. See the following excerpts... how do you explain this

"Since the release of BES Express you now can have a standard data plan and still have all the features."

"Standard data plans require activation by tethering direct to the server, tethering the device to a pc and either being on the same LAN as the BES Server or connecting to the BES Network VIA a VPN"

Read options #1, #3, and #4

I guess what its saying is you have to have BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express version 5.0 SP1. I don't know what version we have.

0 Likes
MacDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I tend to agree with DOC, I have EXCHANGE server setup and working on my Bold with my company email working fine with BIS, But as long as I can remember a Blackberry can be registered either BIS, or BES not both at the same time. I think it has to do with the PIN only being able to be registered to one at a time. If you need company email on your BB, see if they have a HTTPS EXCHANGE address you can log into.

0 Likes
bsmith15

I remember reading that one of the advantages of BES Express was the ability to use the lower standard data plan (BIS).  Check with your IT group and see what BB Enterprise version they are using.

I have had BES and BIS on my BB at the same time, with both work and personal e-mail going to my device.  I know it was BES as my company placed a IT security code on my device that took forever to remove once I left.. 

0 Likes
xarfox

MacDaddy - you can have a BES and BIS address at the same time. I had it set up this way before where my exchange was BES and my POP3s were BIS.

That being said, my question is - why can I not register with just the standard data plan. The link and information provided above says you can if you are connected to the company's LAN. Another option is to upgrade to the enterprise black berry plan, register, then downgrade.

Maybe they can only do it with BESx (express) and not just BES. I don't know what version they are using.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
0 Likes