SMS Texting - Field Full
smcshorty05

This is the first blackberry i have had so i don't know if this is a blackberry thing or if i can change it some how. On every other phone i've had if you go over the like 160 character limit it will still let you keep typing and then it will send the message as more than 1 message. WIth the black berry once you hit that 160 characters it won't even let you type anymore. Can I do anything about that?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SMS Texting - Field Full
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

I'm sure there's an app for that. 😃

I've seen apps out there can will let you go beyond the 160 limit, but keep in mind this may cause some problems with the person receiving the message depending on what their phone/network allows.

Also, you can instead send a text as an MMS message but not include a picture. This will allow you to use up to 1,000 characters, but again this may cause receiving issues depending on the terminating device/network.

0 Likes
Bsmith151
Look in the Application Store at www.crackberry.com. There is an application that allows you to go over 160 characters and then sends the final message as multiple SMS's depending on the number of characters.
0 Likes
mc0511

Had the same problem. Try sending it in MMS mode, it worked for me.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

Beyond  160 will work but breaks the text and sends it in two parts. It does at least allow you to keep typing but when you send is when it breaks it into two seperate texts.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

@ XtremeBerry, well yeah. This works for basic phones. But you should know with the Curve it actually is limited to 160 characters within the SMS program itself. Using SMS the device will not allow you to type beyond 160. It cuts you off and won't let you type not 1 character more.

Solutions to this abundant.

0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

@nmchileman, The curve and is limited to 160 characters because they are 7 bit. All short message services are limited wether CDMA or GSM to 256 byte messages. For a curve that is 160 on a Bold for instance that is 70 characters (16 bit characters).

Works for basic phones? Beyond 160 works fine with the Curves and lets you type more than 160 characters.

Minimum Requirements:
For for BlackBerry Bold, Curve, Pearl, 88xx/87xx
BlackBerry OS 4.2 +
For for BlackBerry Storm
BlackBerry OS 4.7

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/beyond-160-a-221513/

There is a free trial also.

0 Likes
blackwidowinsc
Contributor - Level 1
As an SMS the BlackBerry will only allow 160 characters to be typed before it will show that the "field is full" message wouldn't consider it to be an error message cause it is doing what it is supposed to do).  If you send the message as an MMS it will allow up to 1000 characters.  Not sure about the software that is out there to change this fact, but I am not one to download third party applications to my device because I am worried about potential compatibility issues.
0 Likes
XtremeBerry
Contributor - Level 3

That was my point, the OP was looking for a way to type more than 160. There is two ways an MMS or using the Beyond 160 apps.

I dont understand why people would want to miss out on the fun and increased productivity of apps and if one doesnt work ,delete it.,  I cant think of one I have used by the creators instructions and have had an issue with.

0 Likes