SMTP shutdown notice
BarbDel

Confused about this message received from Verizon saying SMTP being shutdown tomorrow:

http://support.vzw.com/information/smtp_shutdown.html

I have 4 email addresses retrieved to my Blackberry 8330, one each for @Gmail.com, @Earthlink.net, @vzw.blackberry.net and my own hosted domain server.  I don't understand what changes I'm supposed to make and where. I do have the server settings for those email accounts but not sure where to apply them

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SMTP shutdown notice
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I have seen this too, and have been curious.  If I understand it, for example, I use a comcast.net email address on my BB Tour.  When I send an email on my Tour, I must use the vzw.blackberry.net address.  The change Verizon is making is affecting only the address we use to send messages, not recieve.  We can still recieve email messages from our various email accounts. 

0 Likes
BarbDel

Yes, I know that the SMTP is only for sending, however it seems to indicate that the ability to send from non-Verzon addresses will require an SMTP change. I do have the SMTP settings for those e-mail addresses as I use them for MS Outlook, however  I cannnot find where to make the change in the system. The Blackberry setup screen (on the Web) only asked for e-mail address, username and password when setting up the accounts for the Blackberry. I was not asked nor did I enter an SMTP for those addresses. (Apparently it's using the Verizon SMTP which it is stating will be shut down. But HOW you make the change AWAY from their SMTP server is not clear to me.

Having worked in tech support and authored training manuals, it's frustrating about the lack of clarity in Verizon's (assuming their a little larger company than me and have more resources) explanation in resolving the issue.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hey,

I just tried to send an email to myself from my Tour.  I have 3 email addresses.  One is the default Verizon Blackberry address, the other is a Hotmail address, and last a Comcast address.  I sent a separate email to myself using all 3 addresses and recieved all three with no problems.  Mine seems to be working ok for now, but I will post if any problems.

Doc

0 Likes
BarbDel

Finally called and got through to Verizon Tech support. Tech didn't really know the answer either. Walked with him through solutions he suggested and no where could we find where you can change. Don't know if Verizon monitors these forums and helps with support but so far I've not found the answer to the dilemma Verizon announced in their SMTP shutdown warning.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Shutting down the SMTP service does not affect your Blackberry device at all. Verizon onlys providers the connection for your Blackberry device, all routing and handling of email services is done directly by RIM. They have their own servers which allow you to send and receive email which is not affected in any way by Verizon's SMTP service.

The SMTP service was only used for certain people who had ISPs which did not allow them to send emails from their servers. Blackberry is not affected by this in any way.

0 Likes