Screen looks like a tie dye shirt
swilso59

Hey, my blackberry tour screen looks like a tiedye shirt. I went to the Verizon store and they told me it was going to be $490 before tax to get a new phone. I love my blackberry and the only option he gave me was to get a preowned Blackberry Storm, or I could go online and find a new screen. I went online and it was going to be $200 to get a new screen and get it installed. I was wondering Verizon is trying to rip me off or something. I didn't cause any harm to my phone it just is old and I guess the screen finally cracked, It would cost less money for me to terminate my account and then purchase a new Blackberry Tour then it would be to replace it now, which is RIDICULOUS. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what step I should take next. And maybe give me an explanation as to why they cannot give me a new blackberry tour, it can't cost them that much money.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Screen looks like a tie dye shirt
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

The problem you're experiencing sounds like there was pressure applied to the screen. Such as when you push in on a computer screen. It turns colors. I'm guessing your phone pushed up against something, causing the screen to do that. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure the insurance doesn't cover that. In which case you would have to buy a new phone.

0 Likes
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

That would be covered under your insurance, if you had it. Insurance is for any kind of damage to the phone.

Why should Verizon sell you a new phone at anything less than the full retail cost? Blackberries(phones in general) are expensive. Carriers subsidizes  the cost of the phone with your contract agreement. If they let everyone get a phone at a reduced price, less than what they pay for them, they won't be in business very long. Next time insure your phone if you can't afford to buy a new phone if you damage it.

Your options are full retail, buying a phone else where(ebay, craigslist) or see about a certified pre-owned through Verizon.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

I thought insurance only covered it if it was a defective phone and not from water/dropping damage? Or is that only if you don't pay for the insurance?

0 Likes
momofthree

We have insurance on the BB Tour - screen is cracked inside - insurance doesn't pay for this repair.  Why we pay the money each month is beyond me sometime.  Does anyone know where you can get a new screen?  That is all that is wrong with the phone!  This is the 2nd time it has happened.

0 Likes
swilso59

you can go on ebay but the turn around for the screen to come is around 14 business days. You can spend the 500 on the new phone. or get a certified pre owned storm or droid from verizon.

0 Likes
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

vereyezuhn wrote:

I thought insurance only covered it if it was a defective phone and not from water/dropping damage? Or is that only if you don't pay for the insurance?

Warranty is defects caused by no fault of your own. Generally warranty replacements are caused by software malfunctions. All new phones come with a one year warranty, which you have the option of extending.

Think of it like a car. You buy a brand new car and after 6 months the engine randomly dies, would you do an insurance claim or warranty? Warranty. Same car but instead of the engine dying, you get  in an accident, insurance or warranty? Insurance. And just like car insurance, there is a deductible for Asurion.

momofthree- I've never had to do an insurance claim but this sounds like something that would only be covered by insurance...Did you contact Verizon or Asurion who said you couldn't do a claim? If this is the second time, how was it replaced/fixed the first time? I do know with Asurion you can only have 2 claims within 12 months or they will drop you.

0 Likes
Jude526

I have a replacement Tour that has not been used that I am selling for 250.00  I have it on ebay.  If it doesn't sell I can let you

know.

It is still in the plastic wrap that phones come in. 

0 Likes