Storm 2 Update .713 has Ruined Voice Calls!!!!
SafetyLighting

I have two Storm 2's that were working fine.  I updated mine about a week ago and started having issues.  When I am on a voice call, every few seconds I get what sounds like a scrambled or digital signal.  It cuts out the conversation and happens continuously. 

Two days ago, my girlfriend updated her Storm 2 and is now having an identical issue!

Is anyone else experiencing this?  How do I downgrade back to the previous software version?

Verizon tech support doesn't know of any fix other than a hard reset and the store tech support was of no help either.  Further more, these phones are only 3 months old, and when I brought them in to the store, they tried to give me refurbished phones!  I paid for brand new phones and you want to give me refurbished ones?  Absolutely poor customer service!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Storm 2 Update .713 has Ruined Voice Calls!!!!
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Apparently OS .713 is having issues.  The battery drain and now your issue.  Sounds like the testers didn't do such a good job.  I recommend going back to OS .607 until VS. works out the bugs.

Customer service can help with the going back if you can find one that will acknowledge there is an issue.  I recommend going to the Crackberry site and search, there you can find the instructions on how to go back to a previous OS.

0 Likes
jshcnmt

I had the same issue. I always stay up to date with software releases since they usually improve the phone. This .713 update is TRASH! Downgrade to .607. All of the voice quality issues will go away. I also noticed that .713 was chewing through my battery at an unprecedented rate. I typpically can get a whole day (16 hours+) out of the storm 2. .713 was half a day at best.

Anyway, there is a great thread on crackberry.com in the Blackberry 101 section that walks you through this.

Basically, you need to download the .607 version of software from Verizon. Go to this link:

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal

Scroll all the way to the bottom and select "To downgrade your BlackBerry Device Software, click here"

This will download the .607 device software installer.

While this file is downloading, uninstall any previous versions of Blackberry Device Software on your computer. NOTE: This is a different entry in "Add/Remove Programs" than Blackberry DESKTOP software. You can leave that one alone.

Install the .607 device software that you just downloaded, and follow the instructions in the tutorial. Pay attention to the section that talks about downgrading your software. You will be using the apploader software to downgrade your phone rather than desktop manager. It is much faster than DM and works flawlessly, at least the 4 or 5 times that I have used this process.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Great job by jshcnmtdescribing how to downgrade your Blackberry.  Hopefully, that will help some of the folks having issues right now.

Doc

0 Likes
Victoria

Ohhhh thank you. It's not my phone, it's just a crappy update. Whew!! Okay, now they need to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

{word filter avoidance}

0 Likes
SafetyLighting

Thank you to everyone for the help.  I had some trouble at first because apparently DM 5.01 has the device manager built into it, so I had to use DM to downgrade.  Everything is back to normal now.  Out of curiousity, what was supposed to be improved by .713?  There are so many issues with it, what was the point? 

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

SafetyLighting wrote:

Out of curiousity, what was supposed to be improved by .713?  There are so many issues with it, what was the point? 

That is a good question.  Looks like it was rushed out and not enough testing.  Some are reporting no issues though.  Maybe one of our VZW folks will give us their opinon.

0 Likes
Victoria

I had sent a message to BlackBerry Help in Twitter. They said this, "If you have completed the following process:http://bit.ly/cKy9A0 you may want to discuss options with your wireless service provider." The actual link they sent was titled:

How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Manager for...

They recommend completely removing all previous installs before installing latest OS.713.

Here's the real link if anyone is curious: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11320&slic...

0 Likes
MattT

When the .713 S/W came out, I updated it and the voice issue started happening. I called customer service and they sent me 3 different replacements before I figured out it was the software that caused it..

I downgraded with the older version software and my phone works great or back to normal.

I tried calling customer service back to explain to them and maybe they can raise a bigger flag with RIM but they don't either believe me or just don't care.

You can download the older version software by connecting to your Desktop Manager and following the instructions on how to upgrade or downgrade.

Good Luck!!!!

0 Likes
jparsons

Apparently they do not read their forums...I've been complaining about this since the upgraded software and they acted like they had no idea this was happening...not to mention they tried to send me a refurbished phone!

0 Likes