Re: Storm 5.0.0.328 Update is HORRIBLE!!
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

Apple is one thing, but can you really count on them because AT&T (if I'm not mistaken) has absolutely no say in problems that comes up in the iPhone. You really have to go to Apple website for OS and other issues?:smileywink: As for USB charging, "common sense" will tell you the Wii, cable DVR or any other console are not designed for charging phones, is a "safety issue," you could burn something out?:smileysurprised: It's much faster or more conviniant  to charge Storm in the wall outlet, then a USB connection. Verizon will not be held liable if Wii or Blackberry gets damaged while charging.?:smileywink:

0 Likes
Re: Storm 5.0.0.328 Update is not so horrible anymore
moblgrl

I was getting pretty frustrated with the .328 upgrade last night, but something I read on one of the blackberry forums made me wonder if the version of desktop manager I used could be to blame.   I initially did the upgrade from the desktop app on my Macbook and I ended up having more things wrong than there were right.   As others have posted, I experienced the following:

• java language error messages upon reboot
  • third party apps that thought they were installed, but the icons were missing (Facebook and Poynt in particular)
  • several third party apps that just didn't work at all (Quick Launch, QuickPull Pro, BerryWeather)
  • headphone jack not working

The more I worked with it, the worse it got.   Before I resorted to completely wiping my Storm, I decided to try reverting back to the previous version (using DM on the Mac), and then running the upgrade again but this time from a Windows PC.   I was not very optimistic but the second upgrade worked flawlessly.  All of the problems have disappeared and the performance is actually quite snappy.  

I don't know if had anything to do with the Mac/Windows switch, or if reverting to the older version may have done the trick.  Hopefully this will help someone.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

SaNDman wrote:

Apple is one thing, but can you really count on them because AT&T (if I'm not mistaken) has absolutely no say in problems that comes up in the iPhone. You really have to go to Apple website for OS and other issues?:smileywink: As for USB charging, "common sense" will tell you the Wii, cable DVR or any other console are not designed for charging phones, is a "safety issue," you could burn something out?:smileysurprised: It's much faster or more conviniant  to charge Storm in the wall outlet, then a USB connection. Verizon will not be held liable if Wii or Blackberry gets damaged while charging.?:smileywink:

I'm fine with AT&T not supporting the iPhone (as for updates and stuff), I have used Apple products since gradeschool and have always had good experiences with them, also I would prefer to get updates and support from Apple rather than AT&T anyway, Apple and AT&T are two companies I have learned to trust, I am tethered to my mother's Verizon account, so unless my mother want's to switch, I am stuck with Verizon

As for charging the blackberry via a USB connection, I wouldn't be worried about the blackberry being fried by a USB connection, if that were the case, it wouldn't be safe to connect the blackberry to something like a computer to begin with, heck, it wouldn't even be a good idea to have it charge over a USB designed port to begin with, that being the case, I would be more worried about it being UNDERpowered to charge then OVERpowered, and in my experience with electronics (i'm in the field), you can not cause damage by having it underpowered, it just won't work until the proper voltage/amprage/wattage is applied, it's overpowering a device that could cause damage, and that would be impossible over a USB port, that being said, in my experience, the blackberry charged fine over the USB connection to my Wii, and being that there is no way for the USB connection on the Wii to cause any damage to the blackberry, and the fact that it has charged fine before the update (wether or not the USB port is underpowered to adequately charge the blackberry), it would be stupid to block it, that is unless blackberry or Verizon is trying to block it in order to make money on overpriced chargers, which is also a stupid reason to block it, I mean it still charges, you just have to play with it and wait longer (for it to figure out, that in fact, it can charge)

Long story short, the Wii wasn't directly designed to charge cell phones, but the Wii was designed with USB ports to use and charge USB devices (either for or not for the Wii), and the blackberry was designed to charge via it's USB connection, and the blackberry was also designed to communicate with a PC via USB, and during this process, the PC also charges the blackberry (and the PC doesn't change the current just for the blackberry), so "common sense" says it should charge fine

0 Likes
SaNDman
Contributor - Level 3

Well I to trust Verizon Wirelss and AT&T, but nevermind why I'm not on AT&T's network! I trust Apple products, too! I'm happy you have "common sense," unlike some people I know!:smileysad: You can choose to charge your Blackberry any where you want, anytime you want!! USB or wall outlet! CHEERS!!!:smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes