Storm 9650 not working in Iraq
offshoredude12

I have the Storm 9650 with the international data plan.  I was told to just turn it off and then back and on and it will pick up the service and it will work fine.  All I get where the signal strength is a "SOS" in red.  I have gone to the options and all is set up right from what I have read.

On, On, Automatic, Global.

Am I missing something or do I need to call Verizon

Thanks in advance from Iraq

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Storm 9650 not working in Iraq
Spiral
Master - Level 1

offshoredude12 wrote:

I have the Storm 9650 with the international data plan.  I was told to just turn it off and then back and on and it will pick up the service and it will work fine.  All I get where the signal strength is a "SOS" in red.  I have gone to the options and all is set up right from what I have read.

On, On, Automatic, Global.

Am I missing something or do I need to call Verizon

Thanks in advance from Iraq

If you haven't already tried, I would take out the battery for 30 seconds to complete a reset and then try again to estabilsh a connection.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

SOS means you can ONLY make emergency (112 in Europe, 911 in North America and the other associated codes, check wikipedia/online). What happened is the Iraqi GSM/WCDMA network is REJECTING your VZW/Vofafone SIM card for authentication to get Voice/SMS/Data services.

Do you call VZW Global CSR in NYC to get the global services ACTIVATED!? You always need to call your home carrier to get it ACTIVATED.

Here's what needs to be corrected:

1. Call VZW global CSR @ (+)1-908-559-4899. (They are 24x7 located in New Jersey/NYC).

2. Tell the CSR agent to verify that you have GLOBAL I-DIAL (International Dialing, +X dialing) active/added to your account.

3. Tell the CSR agent to verify that you have the GLOBAL/INTERNATIONAL ROAMING/ELIGIBILITY (basically have your VZW credit history/account paid on time, if it's a corporate plan you are immediately eligible I believe) active/added to your account.

4. Tell the CSR agent to verify that you have the VZW/Vodafone GLOBAL SIM CARD active on your account.

1. Power down your device.

2. Take the battery cover out of your BB and remove it.

3. Take out the SIM card. On the back of the card there is a list of serial numbers. Find the number sequence that starts out with 89. Read that WHOLE number to the VZW CSR to make sure that EXACT SIM NUMBER is in VZW's systems.

5. The rep will know what to do and update your customer profile back in the US.

6. Wait a few minutes (5) so the information is updated through the global SS7/GRX/IPX/ roaming exchange systems.

7. Reboot your phone, you should be able to make/receieve calls, use SMS, get data.

8. If it doesn't work go into your BB settings and switch it to GSM/UMTS mode.

9. If it still doesn't work wait up to one hour. If it still doesn't work you need to UPDATE your BB's software to the latest which fixes all the global roaming problems and stability fixes.

10. Update your BB software (this may take up to 1 hour) to the latest. If your are roaming you will ONLY receieve the update through manual loading by downloading it from www.blackberry.com and updating your device with BB Device Manager.

11. If you have a corporate IT manager they should be able to do this for you whether in North America, South America, Latin America, Oceania, Asia Pacific, Europe or the Middle East. 

12. Report back here if it still doesn't work.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

ALL of this should have been DONE in the home carrier's country (USA VZW CSR/SUPPORT) before TRAVLEING. Sigh, I wish there was better corporate training for the CSRs before in store and corporate world-wide so people aren't surprised to find their services don't work when they turn on their phone in destination country X.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

The dialing procedure internationally is a little different and uses the international PLUS system. Basically it's

+Country Code+Phone number in country X.

You should have been educated/read the book that came with the BB purchase or the VZW store in the US. Here's a quick run down:

When in country "X" and you want to dial...:

1. Local country number: Dial as if you had a local phone, same call routing technology rules apply. If I was in the US I would dial 1+AREA CODE+Number

2. A number outside of country "X": Dial with the + (plus) number. To call France from the United States you would:

Find/Hold the (+/PLUS) key on your BB. Plus now is on your phone. Enter the country code. Enter the number.

To dial China (e.g.): +86LOCALNUMBERHERE

To dial France (e.g.): +33LOCALNUMBERHERE

To find out the international country code published by the ITU:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_country_calling_codes

The plus dialing technology introduced worldwide within the last 5 years GREATLY simplifies international phone dialing for the consumer as it moves the country exist PSTN switch technology to the phone/computer and the phone/computer automatically figures it out and the consumer does not have to mess with it. If you're phone doesn't support this (REALLY OLD PHONE, like +5-10 years old): You need to find out the countries EXIT code here:

http://www.howtocallabroad.com/

Note: Their instructions still show the universally accepted 011 code used in North America or 00 code used in EMEA and most of the rest of the world in telecom switch programming. If it's not 011 or 00, it's probably some proprietary implementation and you need to look up the countries COMPUTER EXIT code here: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/dialinginst.htm

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/countrycodes.htm

This would be the old way of doing this (if I'm in Europe for example): 00+COUNTRY CODE+LOCAL PHONE NUMBER

So if I was in France: 00+1 (US/Canada NAMP CODE)+LOCAL AREA CODE+Number.

If I was to dial Manhattan New York from France: 001212LOCALNUMBERHERE.

Again the last 2 paragraphs ignore if you have a phone that supports the + technology which basically the phone/network automates the processing and is offloaded to the computer. It will automatically direct the correct number to the correct switch to the correct phone. You don't even have to think about it in + phone technology. All VZW phones shipped within the last few years are capable. You need to use a really old phone if the + phone technology is not on your mobile phone.

0 Likes