Switching phones
plq
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd like to use a friend's blackberry temporarily. I've switched my SIM card over from my old, now sadly broken droid phone, so I'm not sure how to use the operating system. I want to unlock it so that the phone recognizes that it's using a new number (mine, not my friend's), and ideally even transfer old contacts over. How can I get the phone to recognize that?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching phones
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The SIM from the Droid likely will not work.  Is the BlackBerry Verizon branded?  If it is, and it's not currently active on another account, then call *228, option 1.  When it asks for the phone number, put in your number that you want the phone to use.

Either it will activate and you can use it with your number, or it will prompt you to call customer service to activate; they will ask for some numbers off the phone and will determine if it can be activated on your account.

As far as the contacts, you would need to have them backed up using Backup Assistant or a third party backup app and I'm not sure there even is one that will transfer contacts from Android to BlackBerry OS.  Even if they were backed up to a micro SD card (NOT the same thing as a SIM card) I doubt the formats would be compatible.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The SIM from the Droid likely will not work.  Is the BlackBerry Verizon branded?  If it is, and it's not currently active on another account, then call *228, option 1.  When it asks for the phone number, put in your number that you want the phone to use.

Either it will activate and you can use it with your number, or it will prompt you to call customer service to activate; they will ask for some numbers off the phone and will determine if it can be activated on your account.

As far as the contacts, you would need to have them backed up using Backup Assistant or a third party backup app and I'm not sure there even is one that will transfer contacts from Android to BlackBerry OS.  Even if they were backed up to a micro SD card (NOT the same thing as a SIM card) I doubt the formats would be compatible.

0 Likes
plq
Enthusiast - Level 1

that worked perfectly, thanks! the blackberry was verizon, so it was really

easy to connect wen i followed that. the address book thing isn't working,

but i can make due for a few days til the new phone comes in. thanks again!

SydneyK
Master - Level 3

To get your contacts to the BlackBerry: From the BlackBerry browser, go to google.com/sync.

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Google Sync for Blackberry is no longer available however, you can still sync with outlook, bis, or yahoo.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I think you can still do it through the browser though. I did it in June anyway.

0 Likes