Telecoil
cabs4x4

Three months ago, I upgraded to Blkberry Curve 8530 and I really like this phone.  During the 3 months, I've had to replace the phone 3 times because I was having trouble hearing the person on the other end except when I turn on the speakerphone.  The Sparks Verizon store representative was very friendly and tried to troubleshoot but was unsuccessful and gave me a new replacement.  Each time I received a new phone, I would change the hearing aid mode to t-coil to accomodate my hearing aid.  My 3rd phone (only had for 1 week) now has the same problem of not being able to hear the person on the other end, I was able to have a phone conversation this morning at 7am and at 10am I could not hear the other person.  I troubleshooted and found that the Telecoil stopped working by turning off the Telecoil.  Is there a solution to fixing the Telecoil? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Telecoil
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi -

I, too, wear hearing aids, and had issues with the telecoil settings.  I don't have a Blackberry, but it likely works the same way with any cell phone. Here's a great article explaining how telecoils work: http://www.hearinglossweb.com/tech/ha/conv/tcoil/prim.htm

I ended up NOT using the option because what it does is turn OFF the hearing aid microphone, and in my case, the telecoil was NOT picking up the magnetic signal either, so I really could not hear well at all with the option on.  Maybe I didn't play with the positioning of the phone enough to get it to work...but it seems to work better for me to turn off the telecoil option and hold the phone so the feedback is less, but I can still hear the caller.

0 Likes
Re: Telecoils
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try these steps below:

Power the phone off, remove and replace the battery, then power the phone back on and  dial *228 send and option 2 on the device.  

Try increasing  the volume on your hearing aid, that will help with signal strength.

There is not much else that can be done.  Some devices work better with Telecoils than others. 

You are encouraged to test all handsets in the stores prior to buying. Please remember that everyone’s hearing loss is different and what works for one person may not work for another.

0 Likes