Text message as voice mail indicator?
Pat_Berry

I just upgraded to a Tour 9630 from a BB 8830 (the first “World Phone”) and immediately ran into an annoyance.  When a new voice mail is created, my phone sees the notification as a text message.  This wouldn’t be such a big deal except that I used text messages for important work-related issues.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to set up my account and/or my Tour to be able to differentiate between “real” text messages and voice mail notifications?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text message as voice mail indicator?
blamiya1
Contributor - Level 3

Usually  you only get voicemail notifications if you have visual voicemail activated on your account. With visual voicemail, it will always send you a notification...hinting the name visual....The only way that should eliminate the text notifications for your voicemail is to disable the visual voicemail feature.

0 Likes
Pat_Berry

I've learned a little more:

1) Both basic and visual voice mail feature a "mail indicator" feature (http://support.vzw.com/clc/features/calling_features/basic_voice_mail.html). 

2) When I put my old BB 8830 back on the network, the old behavior did not return.  Instead it behaved like my new BlackBerry Tour. 

3) I put a Windows-based phone on my plan and learned that the voice mail indicator worked just fine – without the phone behaving as if it received a text message.

Is it true that text messages are used to alert the phone to the presence of a voice mail?

How can my account be provisioned so that a “real” text message can be differentiated from a voice mail flag?  It must be possible because I had this behavior before, but Verizon technical support hasn’t been able to find the answer yet.

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

Notifications of a new voice mail etc are sent to the phone along the same lines of a Text message.  So I am assuming you do not have Visual Voice Mail activated on your account?

It is good you tried different phones because that will rule out the new phone as the culprit.  I am not aware of any settings that you can change on how the notifications of new voice mail are handled.

0 Likes