Texting on BB
Cess02

Am about to get a BB, this wed. I heard you can text for free with a pin # to other BB users, but what about non BB users? Is texting part of the 29.99 data plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting on BB
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Cess02 wrote:

Am about to get a BB, this wed. I heard you can text for free with a pin # to other BB users, but what about non BB users? Is texting part of the 29.99 data plan?

No,  Texing is not free.  You must have text messaging in your base plan.  You are probably thinking of instant messaging within Blackberry Messenger.  That would be covered under your Data plan of $29.99.

Doc

0 Likes
Cess02

So, is there anyway to text someone who does not have BB for free? Like IM with yahoo or something?

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

Cess02 wrote:

So, is there anyway to text someone who does not have BB for free? Like IM with yahoo or something?

That would be Instant Messaging, and that is not the same as texting. There is no way to text for free, unless you do it from a computer I think.

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Although it's not really texting, there are a few free instant-messaging options, such as AOL and Yahoo. My guess is the other person would only want to do this if she has unlimited data like you'll have on your BlackBerry.

Enjoy your new Berry! I'm sure you'll love it!

0 Likes
Cess02

Ooops, sorry! So, IM is not free either?

0 Likes
Cess02

Oh! Got it! Thanks everyone!!!!!

0 Likes
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1
Instant messaging uses the data network, so that is included in the data plan. They have free apps for all of the most popular IM clients - AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and Gtalk.
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cess02 wrote:

Mobile IM on non-data phones is all text messaging, and allows you to text with another user who is on AIM, Yaho Messenger or MSN messaging.  So I wouldl think that using YAhoo or AIM on your BB would work like it does with your computer....and the other user on Mobile IM.

My daughter uses Mobile IM regularly to "text" with friends in the UK and Canada, and we are never charged data, just thousands of texts a month, but we have unlimited, thankfully...

0 Likes