Tour reception problems, Poor network access
Hawkka4

I have had two Blackberry Tours replaced for not only the loose battery cover and uncontrollable track ball, but the reception has dropped off dramatically since switching from a Pearl.  I have traveled the USA with the Tour.  No matter where I have been, other Verizon phones near me have service and the Tour has little or no signal.  Customer service denies this is a know issue, so here I am looking for other frustrated customers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Tour reception problems, Poor network access
ralpharm

I am having similar problems.

I live in southern NH where no company has good coverage.   I had a BB Pearl on T Mobile.   2 Months ago I went to Verizon because everyone I know kept telling me their network was the best where I live.

I am extremely disapointed with this phone.  The voice quality and network access is terrible!

I used to be able to use my Pearl in my car using bluetooth for 90% of my commute.   I did this alot for business.

The Tour reception and transmission quality and the network access is so poor that I can no longer do that.  Everyone I talk to keeps saying "I can't hear you".  And the reception is so poor that often when I am trying to call someone the ringing tone keeps breaking up.

I upgraded to the 11-19-09 code release (61?) hoping that would help.   Now the bluetooth device works so badly that I have to shut it off and hold the phone to my ear while driving.

This weekend I plan to go to the Verizon Wireless store and complain.  

Because I use this phone for business I am seriously considering paying the $400 worth of cancellation fees I will incur to cancel my family plan and then going to AT&T and try an iPHONE.   It cannot possibly be as poor as this!

0 Likes
PROB1

My uneducated guess is that it has to do with the software version. Before I spent the $400 I'd try a couple of other things.  First search sites like CrackBerry for step by step directions on how do each step. Second backup your phone with Desktop manager. I would then try wiping your phone and reloading the latest 161 software, if that does not help try downgrading to the 140ish version.  If that fails try the 5.0.0.230 leaked version that is out there in the wild, you will have to search for the download.  Some of your 3rd party apps might not work with 5.0.0.230, but everything I use works just fine. The radio signal is not perfect but I've never dropped a call or had anyone complain about call quality.  Be aware that if that does not fix the problem (I think it will) you have to go back to an approved software release or Verizon will not help you when you go to the store. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

Have you tried to update the Preferred Roaming List (PRL) on your device?  Dial *228 and select option 2 and wait for confirmation.  Many of the problems with dropped calls and weak signals can be fixed by doing this procedure at least every couple of months.  It is important that you do this from your home area, not while on the road.  Give it a try and let us know here in the forums if your problem is solved or better.

Doc

0 Likes
Hawkka4

Yes, I am very aware of that possible fix and it has not helped the situation. Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
bigfish

I am totally frustrated with coverage issues with my I Phone 4 in Hawaii.  Me and my phone have become the laughing stalk of the town.  While fishing offshore the other day one friend asked if I could just throw it overboard.  It makes me feel pretty stupid when I still get and am forced to pay 200 monthly bills. Once, while working on the problem with the Verizon tech I was told he would call me back in two minutes after I completed an upgrade. He never called back but after awhile I realized that during the 2 minute period Verizon turned off my service.  After I paid the bill, I found numerous messages from their tech support asking me why I don't answer my phone.

3 case numbers assigned, numerous calls to customer service, they never answer of return your calls, every upgrade, my I phone still drops 100 calls a week. You can have it as it will soon be at the bottom of the ocean. Call me Verizon or I'll get new service and not pay my outstanding balance.  You and your award winning crappy customer service don't deserve it.

0 Likes