Tour trackball acting strange.
shoebox56

Can someone tell me if I can correct this.

When I scroll the trackball to the right, randomly the cursor will move to the left.

Other times, the cursor will not move at all while I move the trackball.

I have "Audible Roll" enabled, so I know the Blackberry recognizes my finger movement.

Is this a hardware or software issue? Can I correct this with a software patch?  Do I have to send it back?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Tour trackball acting strange.
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

Have you tried cleaning the trackball with an alcoholic wipe?  That may solve your problem

0 Likes
shoebox56

Thanks.  Unfortunately, cleaning it didn't help.

I called Customer Support finally.  After troubleshooting it over the phone, which involved battery pull and wipe, it's actually worse now!  I have no control now of the trackball.  Absolutely nutty.

Based on the tech I talked to, there was a first batch of bad Tour's with faulty trackball.  I guess mine is part of the first batch.

I am getting a new Tour in a couple of days via FedEx.  Will exchange the bad one.  I'm happy for the great service.

0 Likes
Memp12

I agree there is an issue with the track ball.  My daughter and I have the same phone and are experiencing the exact same issue.  Can only go to the left.  On the main page I can only highlight 2 things:  volume control and the last icon on the menu.  Hopefully we will see a fix soon.

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Kinda interesting that I have 2 friends that got the tour and have the same problem. Seems like a phone defect.
0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

reallyniceguy wrote:
Kinda interesting that I have 2 friends that got the tour and have the same problem. Seems like a phone defect.

Ah then if it is a phone defect best to do warranty exchange.

0 Likes
shoebox56

I got my replacement Tour from Verizon.  Unfortunately, looks like they exchanged it with a refurbished Tour, rather than a new unit from Blackberry.

Nice sticker on the front saying, "Like New Certified Replacement".

Not exactly what I expected from Verizon.  Just beware for anyone requiring an exchange.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

shoebox56 wrote:

I got my replacement Tour from Verizon.  Unfortunately, looks like they exchanged it with a refurbished Tour, rather than a new unit from Blackberry.

Nice sticker on the front saying, "Like New Certified Replacement".

Not exactly what I expected from Verizon.  Just beware for anyone requiring an exchange.

warranty always gives out refurbished phones. that is their policy. that has been going on for years.
0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
Certified like new is really certified Like new. You can always call rim directly as they are the ones that give verizon these phones. You still keep your 1 year warranty so it doesnt matter if its a new or certified.
0 Likes
shoebox56

If these refurbished phones are from RIM, they sure do a lousy job of quality control.

I had to call Verizon and complain that the refurbished phone they sent me had a broken Micro SD Card slot.  Apparently previous owners pried the card out with a screw driver, leaving the stem of the card in the slot.  I could still see the gouge marks in the area where the card should have been.  I didn't have the tools to remove that stem, too small.  But sure wasn't my job to correct their problem.  Obviously Verizon is sending me another refurbished phone, what a **bleep** hassle.

The box that comes with phone shows a list of all the test they performed and passed.  But the list never checked the Micro SD Card!

Not in their fine print, check the replacement phone thoroughly.  It's NOT good as new.

0 Likes