Trouble with Backup Assistant
lystill

I have a Blackberry Bold, and when I click on the Backup Assistant icon, I get the following message-

"Backup assistant has encountered a security error. Please check applications permission"

net.rim.device.api.system.controlled access exception.

Help!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trouble with Backup Assistant
Not applicable

This one should be fixable!  Backup Assistant needs access to your phonebook, and since RIM devices are very secure, they sometimes deny our own applications from working properly.  To modify application permissions in the new 6.0 OS, go to options>device>application management>highlight Backup Assistant>press menu key (the one with dots on it), and edit permissions.  This will bring you to a menu where you can change the application permissions.  You will most likely see Interactions set to deny or custom.  If anything is set to custom or deny, you must change it to allow in order for Backup Assistant to work properly.  Once you change everything to allow, press the menu key again to save the changes.

The steps on 5.0 are options>applications>manage applications> and after that, the steps are the same.  If you find that the application permissions are not editable, you are most likely on a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES), and your IT policy prevents you from editing the permissions while syncing with that server.  You can also remove the application from the phone and redownload it from http://start.vzw.com on the phone's browser.  It's listed as BUA.  Right before you are about to download BUA, it will prompt you to check a box to set the application permissions. 

I hope this answers your question.