Unlimited Data Plan for BB and Text Messages
Phigment
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just a quick question - I should be getting an 8330 in a few days and I understand that in addition to my (current) $39.99 for 450 minutes I will also need to add the $29.99 unlimited data fee.  My question is does that include text messages or would I still need to pay a few for a bucket of texts?  I think right now I pay around $5 for 250 texts per month.

Also, I read yesterday on Gizmodo that McAdam wants to do away with the "unlimited" plan when Verizon rolls out 4G - and it sounds like that is happening next year so does that mean the $29.99 is likely to increase?  If that happens it looks like the Sprint 450 minute Everything Data plan would end up costing less....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data Plan for BB and Text Messages
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Phigment wrote:

Just thought of another question - do messages sent via Blackberry Messenger count towards my text messages? 

Hi,

Spiral is correct in that instant messages sent in Blackberry Messenger (BBM) count as data.  However, one thing that can happen is with the new threaded messaging in the 5.0 Operating Systems (OS) is that SMS messages can be sent via BBM.  For example, if you invite a contact in BBM by way of entering an SMS contact's name or phone number, then messages sent via BBM to that contact will be sent as SMS text.  That would count against your text messaging count.  So be careful when you add or send an instant message in BBM that it is indeed an instant message.  You can tell the difference by the top of the window in the BBM and by the character count counting down from 160.  An instant message has no character limit.  I hope this helps.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
medic2joey
Contributor - Level 2

Need to buy texts, Data is seperate. And what the CEO stated was Verizon was "Looking" into make tiers of usage. Like example 29.99 for 10 GB of usage. 19.00 for 5 GB of usage or whatever. To give customers more options rather than, get 10MB or unlimited. He also stated it was to be affordable and will more than likely be competitive. If you notice most phone companies follow suit with each other. Always do remember this...You get what you pay for. Sprint is cheaper because they actually have to pay you a little extra for the extra effort you have to put in to calling them every month for "hidden charges" or dropped calls. 😃

0 Likes
Phigment
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks mate, appreciate the info - luckily I get a bit of a discount off my service based on my employer so that will still help.  Prior to coming to Verizon about 4-5 years ago, I was with AT&T and before that Sprint so I completely understand what you mean.  Nothing like having to walk out into the middle of your back yard and being grateful that you got 1 bar of signal when I was with AT&T.  I was jumping for joy when my first Verizon phone came and I could actually place a call with 3-4 bars of signal strength....inside my house (and I don't live in the sticks).

I've sorta learned the, "You get what you pay for" mantra is usually spot on.

Thanks again and have a great Memorial Day weekend!

0 Likes
medic2joey
Contributor - Level 2

You too! Glad I could be of assistance!

0 Likes
Phigment
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just thought of another question - do messages sent via Blackberry Messenger count towards my text messages? 

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

No, Messenger conversations do not count as text messages.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Phigment wrote:

Hi,

Spiral is correct in that instant messages sent in Blackberry Messenger (BBM) count as data.  However, one thing that can happen is with the new threaded messaging in the 5.0 Operating Systems (OS) is that SMS messages can be sent via BBM.  For example, if you invite a contact in BBM by way of entering an SMS contact's name or phone number, then messages sent via BBM to that contact will be sent as SMS text.  That would count against your text messaging count.  So be careful when you add or send an instant message in BBM that it is indeed an instant message.  You can tell the difference by the top of the window in the BBM and by the character count counting down from 160.  An instant message has no character limit.  I hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes