Unrecognized file format error when attempting to view a .DOC file with Blackberry Pearl 8130
snowbound

I have never had any trouble viewing .DOC files with my Blackberry Pearl 8130 (version 4.5.0.175 using Documents To Go version 1.000.080) before, but recently my son's school has been sending .DOC attachments to emails and I get an 'unrecognized file format' error when attempting to view these files.  All the files are about the same size (2986KB).  My husband's Blackberry Curve 8330 is giving the same error.  The school claims they are using Office 2007, but I'm not sure about this. If however, we pull the DOC file up in Microsoft Office Word 2003 and save it again the file then becomes viewable with both of our Blackberry devices. Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unrecognized file format error when attempting to view a .DOC file with Blackberry Pearl 8130
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Office 2007, by default, saves with a docx extension, unless you specify to save it in an older format. It sounds like the document reader on the BB is not handling the document the way Office 2007 converts it, but the full version of Word 2003 on your computer is opening it fine.

Then, when it is saved in Office/Word 2003, it DOES work with your reader. Perhaps an update to the reader software on the BB is needed so it will properly handle the converted docx to doc files?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Unrecognized file format error when attempting to view a .DOC file with Blackberry Pearl 8130
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Office 2007, by default, saves with a docx extension, unless you specify to save it in an older format. It sounds like the document reader on the BB is not handling the document the way Office 2007 converts it, but the full version of Word 2003 on your computer is opening it fine.

Then, when it is saved in Office/Word 2003, it DOES work with your reader. Perhaps an update to the reader software on the BB is needed so it will properly handle the converted docx to doc files?
0 Likes
snowbound

Yes, I too thought that a newer version of Documents To Go might be the issue, but I have the latest version that verizon wireless upgrades provide via the blackberry manager (as of July 2010).  I will check with the local store to see if I can test a newer version before I eliminate this as the cause of the problem.  Thanks.

0 Likes
DJ_Boxer
Contributor - Level 1

Dataviz has upgraded Documents To Go to version 2. 

DJ

0 Likes