Using Skypemobile while abroad
Dan_M

Assuming that a person has an capable Blackberry (Tour) with an international data plan, does anyone know if SkypeMobile can be used to avoid international roaming charges? (e.g. I have a US-based Verizon Blackberry, making calls while in the UK) Right now the only reasonable option to avoid these steep charges is to purchase a separate non-Verizon phone with a local sim. That means carrying two devices, which is a hassle. It would be great if Skypemobile could be used, it would save considerable money.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using Skypemobile while abroad
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

It should work as long as you have the international data plan.  As you may be aware, the Skype Mobile does not work with WiFi and only with Data.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Skype on VZW will only work when your phone is in domestic U.S. coverage. It will not working while roaming internationally. So no, it will not help you avoid those pesky roaming fees.

Only unlocking your phone and using a local SIM card will help you there.

0 Likes
Guppy300

Well the folks at AT&T wireless have a WiFi feature for skype on their iPhones. I was considering going there at the end of my contract just for that reason. Because I travel to the EU often. But, after being reassured by the friendly curtomer service personnel at Verizon that Skype was going to work on both network and WiFi I decided to stay. THAT my friend is what I call getting ripped off!

0 Likes
jnestell
Contributor - Level 2

So how is it that the SkypeMobile will work on data here in the US but not abroad?  I thought that Skype would work anywhere as long as you had a internet connection of some sort.  I am really curious about this. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

jnestell wrote:

So how is it that the SkypeMobile will work on data here in the US but not abroad?  I thought that Skype would work anywhere as long as you had a internet connection of some sort.  I am really curious about this. :smileyhappy:

The answer is simple: VZW locked it down so Skype will only work domestically. The same way they locked it down so you can't use WiFi.

Think about it. If Skype worked over WiFi and internationally what reason would you have to even keep paying for a voice plan at all? 

That's it. No other hidden meaning. It's all about the money, people. 

0 Likes
Dan_M

Well, I was able to speak to someone at Verizon on this subject. I was told that while abroad, calls made using the Skypemobile app would go over the data network and that no roaming fees would be charged. 

This is potentially excellent news, since the users that I manage often ring up several hundreds of dollars in international roaming charges every month. I will hopefully have someone testing out the call quality next week, and I will have to keep an eye on our invoices to make sure that the information that I received is accurate. 

0 Likes
Dan_M

Uh, not do fast...

Yesterday I finally received a response from my dedicated sales rep. Here is his response:

"I have just received confirmation. Unfortunately, roaming at launch will not support be supported so the Skype app can only be used while your end-users are in the US. I'll keep you posted as more info becomes available." 

This information conflicts with the information that I posted previously, which I received first hand from a Verizon tech support person. This tech rep, who I spoke to on the phone, seemed knowledgeable and familiar with the product. She stated clearly that it was supported and that the calls would be made over the date network when outside the US.

So basically, I have two Verizon employees telling me different information.  

0 Likes