Using Z10 or Z30 with PlayBook
DiaTribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been using the Storm 2 in conjunction with the PlayBook since it was released and it has been a very useful combination, especially for email since the keyboard and screen are actually big enough to make it a productive tool and the intelligent typing predictor makes it as quick or even quicker than typing on a PC.  My question is will migrating to the Z10 or Z30 still interact appropriately with the PlayBook, since I understand it's operating system is still based on an older version? 

Thanks to all who replied to my original question comparing Z10 and Z30.  Unfortunately, I am unable to thank you on that thread for some reason, since I may not have yet understood how to utilize this forum correctly; the interface doesn't permit me to "like" or "reply" for some reason. 

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Using Z10 or Z30 with PlayBook
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi DiaTribe,

The new Blackberry devices are awesome! I know from past experience the Playbook was great too.  I do apologize, we do not have much information available in regards to how the migration would work. I would recommend reaching out to Blackberry directly. Here is a link to their page. http://us.blackberry.com/customer-service/contact-us.html?LID=us:bb:support:contactus&LPOS=us:bb:sup...

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DiaTribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks very much, I see you have released the Z30, so that is good news. As for the PlayBook, it is a tethered device, so apparently was never sold directly by the carriers but only via BlackBerry directly, and that may explain its poor sales. That is a shame, because it enhances productivity, but due to carriers looking out for their own bottom line, consumers were not really given access to it in the same way as Apple, Google and Microsoft tablets.

0 Likes
jlee7
Enthusiast - Level 3

You will lose a ton of functionality with the Bridge feature with BB10, unfortunately....I too utilized Bridge with my 9550, 9850, and now my Z10. I know you can access files like documents and pictures from BB10 phones and view them on the PB, but not videos. At least I have not figured out how to do so. One way I do utilize Bridge with BB10 is with the remote control feature. It is available with your Storm, but it seems to work so much better with my Z10. I plug my PB into my TV via the HDMI and control the PB from across the room while viewing on the TV. I don't know if you utilize the Video Store on the PB, but it works great and looks great with this set up...I don't know if you are able to access email accounts anymore since I now just sync them to my PB. At least when I read, delete, or respond on one, it reflects on the other...

DiaTribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks jlee7, yes, I noticed the video quality on the PlayBook has always been great, but I used it mostly for an expanded surface for viewing and composing emails. I was able to synchronize both my BlackBerry/Verizon email address (via the Bridge) and my MSN address (via WiFi) on the device. It is a good product, and the tablet + smart phone paradigm seems to have some merit over “phablet” devices for portability and aesthetic reasons, not to mention that a “phablet” is really not large enough to be useful as a tablet.

0 Likes
RickinSD
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Bridge function works perfectly with the Z10 and PlayBook, however like what was mentioned above, some of the features are not the same as it was with the old BB 7 and earlier phones.  You can do the following when you Bridge:

1.  Surf the web

2.  Use apps that require a web connection (such as Facebook, etc.)

2.  BBM

3.  Text

4.  Access files (I didn't know about the video issue, I've never tried)

Lost is your email "mirroring" to the PlayBook, but to me that isn't a big deal because I like reading my email on my phone better.  Plus I have my same email accounts set up on my PlayBook so it's not an issue at all.

0 Likes
DEMON_COFFEE
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using both the Playbook and the Z10 since the Z10 became available. As stated earlier when using bridge you do lose some functionality in regards to e-mail, but with the addition of BBM I feel it balances. As for video sharing if you are referring to vides purchased from Blackberry World, no as Blackberry World and the Playbook's native video store are differing vendors.  Take note  if you configure the Z10's wifi hotspot ability you can make full use of the Playbook's video and movie store (you can't when using bridge) 

0 Likes
DiaTribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks DEMON-COFFEE, RickinSD, jlee7 and Verizon Wireless Customer Support for the information and comments.

It would seem that BlackBerry would do well to make PlayBook totally compliant with BB10 OS, to preserve the synergy between phone and tablet without resorting to the phablet.

0 Likes
leewclark
Contributor - Level 1

Unless BBRRY has a change of heart, they have already scrapped the idea of bringing BB10 to the playbook.  So I think the integration we have is as good as it is going to get...

0 Likes
sfgwyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

no issue with current release of BB, z30 and playbook, I completed by bold conversion with playbook to z30.  Pulled down software BBlink and loaded bridge updates, remote and networking seems fine for use. it has been a couple of months from your post, hope you find same for your environment.

0 Likes