VZ Navigator/Other GPS not working
alexm441

Hi all,

I have a new Blackberry Bold and have been using VZ Navigator on it for months with no issues.

For some reason, now when I go to use it, I get the message "Updating Location..." and it can never find me. I got frustrated with it and uninstalled it with the intention of reinstalling it, however now when I go to do so, I am getting an error message on my phone when trying to download the program.

So at this point I download LifeInPocket hoping it has similar capabilities, and the GPS on that app is not working either. Obviously its something to do with my phone but I have no idea what.

Any ideas? I do not think I have changed any settings recently and everything was working fine before.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I tried the google maps "app" and it actually worked fine so now I'm really confused...I would strongly prefer turn by turn navigation like VZ Navigation offers.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: VZ Navigator/Other GPS not working
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I would check my settings for GPS to make sure they are set right.  Go into Options>Advanced Options>GPS and make sure Location On and Location Aiding are set.  Another task you can do is to perform a diagnostic on the device GPS itself.  Go to Options>Status and type the word TEST.  The letters will not show but a diagnostic menu will appear once you type the word TEST.  Once in the Device Self Test Application, press the menu key and select Start.  In the Test Configuration, select GPS from the list.  Make sure you are either next to a window or outside, scroll down and select Run.  The device will then run a diagnostic on the GPS hardware and let you know if it is working or not.  Hope this helps,

Doc

0 Likes
alexm441

Hey Doc,

I am assuming I am running a different version because when I go into options, my choices are:

Sounds and Ringtones

Networks and Connections

Display

Typing and Input

Device

Call Management

Security

Accessibility

Third Party Applications

I did check that my Location is On and my Location Aiding is enabled by going to Device->Location Settings->, though I do not know how to perform the diagnostic test.

Sorry if I'm making this harder then it is, still getting used to this phone. 

Appreciate the help!

Alex

0 Likes
RalphT
Contributor - Level 3

I would like to thank StreetDocRN  for your great suggestions.  I have provided some additional instructions below that might help get your VZ Navigator back up and running.  The first thing I would like for you to do is to remove and re-install your battery.  This will reboot your phone.   Although this will not delete any of your personal information, I recommend backing up your files if you have not done so recently.   You can then follow the instructions below and if you need additional instructions just click on the link below:    

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5609&m=

Delete browsing information

Your BlackBerry® device saves some information in your browser to improve your browsing experience. You can delete password information,

browser history, cookies, content that has been pushed to your device, and the browser cache.

1. On the Home screen, click the Browser icon.

2. Press the key > Options.

3. In the Privacy and Security section, below Clear Browsing Data, select the check boxes beside the types of browsing information that

you want to delete.

4. Click Clear Now.

Turn on geolocation in the browser

If you turn on geolocation in the browser, some web sites might be able to determine your approximate location.

1. On the Home screen, click the Browser icon.

2. Press the key > Options.

3. In the Privacy & Security section, select the Enable Geolocation check box.

4. Press the key > Save.

0 Likes
trucker3579
I recently had the same issue on HTC incredible. The simplicity of the solution caught me off guard. Dial *228 let it do its thing it will reboot. Then try navigator. It worked for me. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
RickinSD
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't bother with VZNavigator.  Download BlackBerry Traffic from App World. It's free and it's fantastic.  It should get even better because they just signed a contract with Tom Tom to do their maps and navigation thus an even better upgrade is forthcoming.

0 Likes
verizonmoderator1

<Dus to the age of this discussion, it will now be locked.>

0 Likes