Re: Verizon isn't going to support the Priv??? Why should any of us stay with Verizon?
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

CB is wrong, release date is November 6, not the 16th.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon isn't going to support the Priv??? Why should any of us stay with Verizon?
Majennin1
Enthusiast - Level 1

So let's acknowledge that there are financial arrangements between carriers and handset companies that are complex and beyond anyone outside the industry. That said, this is not the days of the BB Torch where people would choose (in this case) AT&T to get the Torch -- the last BB slider. AT&T cut a deal with BB to be exclusive provider of the Torch handset to get customers. Iphones and maybe Samsung are the only ones with that market control these days.

Since those days, Verizon has offered a variety of BB handsets and as best I can tell, if the handset was CDMA they offered it. BB, conserving cash didn't offer Passport as a CDMA phone. BB put their money into the larger GWM market.

Look at the selection of smart phones Verizon sells - I doubt HTC and Kyocera or the latest Windows phone is likely to sell many more than the Priv - but Verizon offers them. You have to wonder if Verizon makes money on such relationships or whether HTC etal. have to pay a consignment fee or offset stocking costs.  

In short, if BB offers a CDMA Priv and is market-competitive on fees etc. with other small smart phone companies, Verizon will likely carry it - VZ gets value by appealing to a wide market -- they're in it for the two year guaranteed revenue contracts.

I am fortunate to be at the end of two-year contracts on my families phones and if the business deal doesn't work, then this will likely be a good reason to look at alternative carriers - Been with VZ for over 10 years and actually like them as a carrier, but their slooow progress to an open GSM standard just rubs me wrong.

I hope it works out, but let's face it, it's not like they hate BB or don't care about certain customers -- it's just busines -- show them the money and they'll sell it.

Camelhmpz

We just have to wait and see over the next few weeks what Verizon/BB say about the Priv.  Rumor has it that its model STV100-2 , and they are always well after the clearing of the GSM variant.  Verizon received exclusive Z30, but decided to pass on the Pass Port (you can see from other websites evidence was shown their was a CDMA model in the works).

I'm getting tired of relying on Verizon for phones the last 16 years, and may give up the unlimited data and get a GSM carrier.

0 Likes
CoreyGmaN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I looked through the FCC Documents, and one of the 3 phones tested included CDMA, which means it should be coming to Verizon.

This is on the first exposure report

https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=2784963

Blackberry Priv CDMA Verizon.JPG

DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Knew I had read the about the CDMA test somewhere, thanks CoreyGmaN for the update.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

CDMA is NOT the same as WCDMA. WCDMA is a GSM network technology and I believe it is also called UMTS. The BlackBerry wasn't tested for the Verizon Wireless networks.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/05/us-wireless-carrier-bands-gsm-cdma-wcdma-lte-verizon-att-sprint...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Did some more checking, did mix up the codes.

But, the -2, -5 and -6 haven't been tested yet. GSM tests are always finished first.

We still have hope.

0 Likes
Snocasa
Enthusiast - Level 1

If they don't support it, I'm leaving Verizon.

NorCalSheila

I've been with Verizon a long time but if they don't support the Priv I'll leave them.

AT&T has just as good coverage now in my area, which didn't used to be the case.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Verizon isn't going to support the Priv??? Why should any of us stay with Verizon?
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

There is hope after all. Nothing on Verizon Wireless site yet, but Priv is coming.

UTB Blogs - BlackBerry Priv spotted on Verizon Wireless

0 Likes