Verizon owes Blackberry Tour owners an apology (and a fix)
FAOJK911

After the long awaited upgrade to OS 5, I was happy to finally see it available on my device. Instead of installing a leaked version, or another service providers OS, I waited for the official release from Verizon, assuming it would be bug-free and a smooth transition. Well, you know what they say about assuming.

I am now back to OS 4.7, reinstalling apps and restoring settings after having to perform a handheld wipe. I spent a good part of the afternoon on the phone with VZW tech support, and the only resolution to the problems I was experiencing with streaming media and other internet issues was to revert back to the former OS, including the wipe.

In the short period I used 5.0, I think there were terrific enhancements that I enjoyed and began to get used to. However, it didn't outweigh the problems I was experiencing. Just a simple issue of the browser click issue... how could this release be pushed with such a flaw. It doesn't take a software developer or beta tester to figure that problem out! But it was released anyhow.

In my opinion, an upgrade is enhancing what you already have, not giving something new and taking away what you already use. What this should have been released as, was not an upgrade, but rather a "OS 5.0 Trade-Off". I, personally, could not sacrifice using the new OS with the operating flaws I experienced. It would not be practical in my professional or personal setting.

If the rush of this update was to push the PTT feature and garnish another $5/month from subscribers, shame on Verizon.

I hope Verizon is reading and working to find a solution to all the posts appearing here that their paying customers are experiencing, and that a fix will be released in the very near future. Until then, many will be reverting to OS 4.7 to make use of services and apps they have come to utilize on a daily basis. Just as Microsoft rushed Windows Vista, everyone continued to use XP, because it worked.

- Loyal (10-yrs), yet disappointed, VZW subscriber

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon owes Blackberry Tour owners an apology (and a fix)
Christy2198

i agree. I feel this was one of the worst upgrades (and it shouldnt be considered an upgrade). I am tired of all the issues w my phone. I have been w Verizon for two years and I have to say, I am moving back over to ATT. Forget this. Im getting an Iphone.

0 Likes
peakcomp

Very well worded and professional.  I agree; I have been a customer since 1998 and with the long delayed and anticipated 5.0 release...it really was junk.  And for VZW to simply tell customers, get used to it...or downgrade?!  But, any time you have problems with your software..the FIRST thing they will tell you to do is 'UPGRADE' to the new version to 'fix' all the previous problems!  lol.
It's a joke. 
Verizon Wireless - - if you are reading - Fix all issues with 5.0 and re-release an UPDATE! 
-Trackball selection in browser fix
-remove Blackberry Messenger from running 100% of time in background as "system core software"
Thank you!!!!

Ken

FAOJK911 wrote:

After the long awaited upgrade to OS 5, I was happy to finally see it available on my device. Instead of installing a leaked version, or another service providers OS, I waited for the official release from Verizon, assuming it would be bug-free and a smooth transition. Well, you know what they say about assuming.

I am now back to OS 4.7, reinstalling apps and restoring settings after having to perform a handheld wipe. I spent a good part of the afternoon on the phone with VZW tech support, and the only resolution to the problems I was experiencing with streaming media and other internet issues was to revert back to the former OS, including the wipe.

In the short period I used 5.0, I think there were terrific enhancements that I enjoyed and began to get used to. However, it didn't outweigh the problems I was experiencing. Just a simple issue of the browser click issue... how could this release be pushed with such a flaw. It doesn't take a software developer or beta tester to figure that problem out! But it was released anyhow.

In my opinion, an upgrade is enhancing what you already have, not giving something new and taking away what you already use. What this should have been released as, was not an upgrade, but rather a "OS 5.0 Trade-Off". I, personally, could not sacrifice using the new OS with the operating flaws I experienced. It would not be practical in my professional or personal setting.

If the rush of this update was to push the PTT feature and garnish another $5/month from subscribers, shame on Verizon.

I hope Verizon is reading and working to find a solution to all the posts appearing here that their paying customers are experiencing, and that a fix will be released in the very near future. Until then, many will be reverting to OS 4.7 to make use of services and apps they have come to utilize on a daily basis. Just as Microsoft rushed Windows Vista, everyone continued to use XP, because it worked.

- Loyal (10-yrs), yet disappointed, VZW subscriber

0 Likes
FAOJK911

Update:  I installed Sprint's official 5.0 release (.484) by instructions I read on Crackberry.com onto my Verizon Tour, and it has been working flawlessly since. I was hesitant to do so because of all the horror stories of bricking the device. But judging by all the bricks from the 'official' release here, what'd I have to lose? No browser click issues, and all my applications, including Pandora, etc. are working perfectly fine. I don't have the option to utilize the PTT feature, but I never wanted that anyway, just a stable OS that works. So if you like the 5.0 features but not the imperfections of the Verizon release, head on over to the 'enemy' and download the stable version, which is an official release as opposed to a leaked version. There are forums that walk you through the upgrade process, basically a matter of deleting a file (vendor.xml) before the install, plug the phone in, and let the Desktop Manager's App Loader do it's thing. Thanks for nothing Verizon! While you're too busy competing with AT&T with map commercials, the boys in yellow are releasing quality upgrades to their (and your) customers!

0 Likes
lilgeorge3

I completely agree!  My Tour died, imo, thanks to this 'upgrade.'  I went to make a call today and the phone was displaying a message on the screen saying: 'Technical Issue: Please return to place of purchase for repair.'

I was 2 hrs into a road trip back home when this happened.  Stopped at the Raleigh store and was informed there was 'nothing they could do' and 'hoped I had a recent back-up.'  They offered to order me a new Tour for replacement,  but I declined as I was going to dig out my previous phone to reactivate at my home store. 

I had experienced multiple problems since the upgrade:

- trackball issues

- filling in passwords, etc, on webpages were difficult

- data connection would drop and I would have to shut down the cell signal and restart it.

Well, there are no replacement Tours available at any store within 100 miles of Raleigh or Winston-Salem.  One is to be shipped next week.  I was going to work on downgrading this weekend, but the update killed my phone before I could get the chance.

0 Likes
JayRyan

To the quote below. I have been having so much battery problems since I updated to 5.0. I just saw that you said about blackberry messenger running 100% as a core app. Well what I did I went to app world and reinstalled bbm 5.0.0.57 because when we updated to 5.0 BBm was version 5.0 not 5.0.0.57. So when I did this I went to applications in the options menu and it knocked BBM off of core apps. To Add Ons so Now it shouldn't be running  in the background100%. Im going to see if it helps with my battery problem. Because I even went to Verizon and they gave me a new battery and it continued to drain really fast. Hope this works and helps you guys!

peakcomp wrote:

Very well worded and professional.  I agree; I have been a customer since 1998 and with the long delayed and anticipated 5.0 release...it really was junk.  And for VZW to simply tell customers, get used to it...or downgrade?!  But, any time you have problems with your software..the FIRST thing they will tell you to do is 'UPGRADE' to the new version to 'fix' all the previous problems!  lol.
It's a joke. 
Verizon Wireless - - if you are reading - Fix all issues with 5.0 and re-release an UPDATE! 
-Trackball selection in browser fix
-remove Blackberry Messenger from running 100% of time in background as "system core software"
Thank you!!!!

Ken

0 Likes
peakcomp

That is very good to hear.  I will try it, but did you see my other post about them planning to release a better 5.0 in the next 30 days?

0 Likes
mretrade
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have gone through 5 Tours and my son in now working on his 7th Tour!  All with trackball issues.  Now with this **bleep** upgrade I'm ready to jump ship.  And to make matters worse Verizon makes a statement loud and clear our customers are not VIP's anymore. So they discontinue the program without any type of grandfathering in.

With the Iphone having 64% of the market share you would think Verizon would be kicking these phone vendors to the curb with these continuing problems. Not waiting for the Storm 4 Tour 2,3 4 or the recycled Bold 5.

I joined Verizon in 1997 looks like 2011 will be the make or break year!

What good is the network when your customers have left you.....

0 Likes
rmikeljr

mretrade wrote:

I have gone through 5 Tours and my son in now working on his 7th Tour!  All with trackball issues.  Now with this **bleep** upgrade I'm ready to jump ship.  And to make matters worse Verizon makes a statement loud and clear our customers are not VIP's anymore. So they discontinue the program without any type of grandfathering in.

With the Iphone having 64% of the market share you would think Verizon would be kicking these phone vendors to the curb with these continuing problems. Not waiting for the Storm 4 Tour 2,3 4 or the recycled Bold 5.

I joined Verizon in 1997 looks like 2011 will be the make or break year!

What good is the network when your customers have left you.....

I got my tour in July 09, fresh on the market.... trackball went out in September 09...... got a replacement device. This one lasted until (i think) December 09...... got another replacement device. This one worked great. I upgraded to OS5 a couple of weeks ago & didnt seem to having any issues with it myself.... did notice a click issue when on the web & had to refresh the page a few times before I could select the button or link I was on..... No streaming problems.....but I dont stream much either.... basically everything was doing fine until this morning when I dropped it in the toilet........ Sooooo, we'll see how the NEXT one does.....

0 Likes
Schism

Do they ever!!

After struggling with the ever eventful Samsung Glyde(s) (four replacements) for a year,my wife and I made the decision to upgrade to the "reliable" blackberry family when our Glydes glitched so bad they were unusable and every "replacement/refurbished"  unit acted up in the same manner.

I have been extremely happy with that choice until the upgrade, now having the browser click issue,choosing it's own ring tones, and a new problem, when attempting to set the alarm clock ( threw out my actual clock because this phone is awesome :smileymad:) the phone freezes and I have to reboot.

I love this phone, and will be wiping the os to re-install the 4.7 version, it just seems to me that Verizon would at least say "Hey, sorry, we're gonna fix this soon"instead of telling everyone that calls to try a battery pull and sending out new phones that won't be able to be upgraded.

Unless they can chargeback R.I.M. They've got to be hemorrhaging money on this.

0 Likes