Very Confused Newb
fsfty42

Im thinking about getting my first Blackberry and i have a question. I live in dead spot for cell phone reception, but my friend told me I could use the Blackberry through my WiFi (Verizon Fios Wireless Router) to not only access the internet, but make phone calls with the Blackberry. Is this true? I would like to get rid of my landline and just use the blackberry, but if i can't make calls through wifi, its a no go for me. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Very Confused Newb
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

I think you have your facts correct. Make sure the BB you get has WiFi and you should be good.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

No you can NOT make CALLS via WiFi on the Verizon phones and network.  WiFi is only for data services.  You can use your WiFi for other services like Skpe but I don't think that is what you are looking for. 

If you have no reception in your home i would stay with the landline until you find a wireless company that works for you.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

Spiral is correct, you can not use WiFi for making calls.  You might have luck by using a network extender for bringing in a Verizon Wireless signal to make calls.  See http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=gotoFemtocell for more information.  I hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes