What data plans work with Blackberry Protect App?
jmhphr

Anybody able to backup? I am trying to backup over WiFi and the app was just released today.... Would love to know what data plans qualify as the app tells me that my wireless plan does not support Backup with BB Protect.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What data plans work with Blackberry Protect App?
GinaH_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you SoccerRef for your help. I have reviewed our resources and did not find a requirement for unlimited data. If there is, our resources have not been updated yet. The only requirement listed is having a Blackberry ID for the App World. Try turning off WiFi and use the cellular network to set up the app. Additionally, I found on blackberry's website the app requires a connection to the wireless network. 

If you are not on the unlimited data plan and want to reduce your data usage for regularly scheduled backups, in the Options menu you can set it to only backup while on a WiFi network. Here are links I am referencing from Blackberry's Knowledge Base and forum:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB25062

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Announcements/Announcing-BlackBerry-Protect/m-p/825259/highli...

If you are still getting the same error message, please call us from an alternate phone at 800-922-0204 for more advanced troubleshooting.

Thank you 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dezzydukes21

Mine doesnt work either. Waiting for a solution.... no luck yet.

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

I use BB Protect. I have a BB Tour 9630 on Verizon and the backup works for me. Have you tried to go into Options/Applications and set all the permissions to Allow? Post back if this works for you. Just curious.

btw, I really like BB Protect. I can locate my BB within 3 meters then use the loud notify to pinpoint where it is exactly. Even if you don't password protect your BB (which I don't) it will lock your BB. If you lose your BB it can display a message, such as: "I've lost my phone, please call xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks, Jerry". My only complaint is that is would be nice if you could Lock your BB AND display the message at the same time.

0 Likes
dezzydukes21

I was told it is because I don't have the unlimited data plan. Why does this matter if I'm responsible with my data usage? I don't usually use my entire allotment as it is, why would I want to pay more for unlimited data? Plus you can back up over wifi. Very disappointed!

0 Likes
GinaH_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

Thank you SoccerRef for your help. I have reviewed our resources and did not find a requirement for unlimited data. If there is, our resources have not been updated yet. The only requirement listed is having a Blackberry ID for the App World. Try turning off WiFi and use the cellular network to set up the app. Additionally, I found on blackberry's website the app requires a connection to the wireless network. 

If you are not on the unlimited data plan and want to reduce your data usage for regularly scheduled backups, in the Options menu you can set it to only backup while on a WiFi network. Here are links I am referencing from Blackberry's Knowledge Base and forum:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB25062

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Announcements/Announcing-BlackBerry-Protect/m-p/825259/highli...

If you are still getting the same error message, please call us from an alternate phone at 800-922-0204 for more advanced troubleshooting.

Thank you 

0 Likes
fokrab
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Gina

I've been told by VZ tech support that VZ will not support the BB Protect application on the 150mb $15 plan. I also wrote a note to customer service and they both called and emailed me to say the same thing. Though they will run it up the flag pole for clarification.

Seems as though VZ thinks we need protection from ourselves. Yes it may consume data; but once installed we can use wi-fi to back up. Nobody protects me from leaving "You Tube" on consuming data like crazy. But for some reason this app has been restricted to the unlimited plan only.

You should also pursue this. Makes no sense to us on the 150mb plan. Well maybe it does as your Tech person offerred to "upgrade" me to the unlimited plan for an additional $15.  

0 Likes
SoccerRef
Contributor - Level 3

Fokrab, have you tried to download it directly from BB mobile? I agree that you don't want to do regular backups with it on a limited data plan. If you use DM to backup your data & settings, you should be good to go. What I like about the app is that is does not reside in memory open all the time. It relies on commands sent from the web to your BB to lock, wipe & display a message. I get pretty tired of VZW trying to "protect us from ourselves" all the time. For Pete's sake treat us as adults and let us make our own decisions on how to use limited data plans.

0 Likes
fokrab
Enthusiast - Level 3

I downloaded from BB App World. Not sure what BB Mobile is.

I use BB DM for back up on my computer. Not sure what you mean. The app can't be used with wi-fi because it is blocked by the fact I am on the 150mb plan.

Are you saying you are on the 150mb plan and the app does not give you a message that  "your wireless service plan does no include BB Protect ? If so what was your work around ??

0 Likes
stratoblaster

I too was all excited about BB Protect, and ran into this issue of "You wireless service plan does not include BlackBerry Protect."  I have the limited 150MB/month plan.  Extremely upset if VZW has chosen to block this app only due to the limited data plan.  Just horrible.  Worthy of switching providers IMO if they don't back down.

0 Likes
fokrab
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm with you. 18 years with VZW and I'm going to seriously consider ATT when contract is up. I use an ATT BB for work and it works fine; in fact calls are clearer. Very frustrated by the turn in events.

0 Likes