When will Verizon have security patches AND marshmallow for the priv? I know its been released. How long are we going to have to wait?
medic22003
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just as the title says. How long?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: When will Verizon have security patches AND marshmallow for the priv? I know its been released. How long are we going to have to wait?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Keeping your device up to date and secure is important, medic22003. While we don't have specific information on when software updates will roll out you can keep track of the latest updates here http://vz.to/1RHc98R

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: When will Verizon have security patches AND marshmallow for the priv? I know its been released. How long are we going to have to wait?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Keeping your device up to date and secure is important, medic22003. While we don't have specific information on when software updates will roll out you can keep track of the latest updates here http://vz.to/1RHc98R

JosephE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Htpttyo1

I'd like the answer to this question as well....the Priv was sold to us stating we would be getting Marshmallow once released - it has been released.  How can you, the people responsible for the updates and software on our phones NOT KNOW WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO UPDATE????? How ridiculous does that sound?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

IIt's up to blackberry to figure out a software release in conjunction with Google then verizon to approve it. Buying a phone on what it MAY do in the future, it's a silly mistake to make. And that's why Apple does well in the market.

0 Likes
medic22003
Enthusiast - Level 2

BlackBerry released them a long time ago. Verizon just now got the April update out. I'd say it's up to Verizon to get with it. Verizon is beyond, not BlackBerry.  They take their sweet time with everything when it's not something they care about.

0 Likes
PAUCRI74
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was just told by a chat agent tonight that the update to Marshmallow has begun and that my phone will let me know when the update is available - he could not tell me anything more meaningful than that.

Why is it so hard to get what should be simple information on when to expect a major update like this?  Why is this such a big secret?

This is an important issue since Marshmallow has things like better tools for extending battery life (charge) which is poor to begin with on the Priv. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Blackberry is writing the update not Verizon Wireless. Verizon Wireless doesn't touch the code for the devices that work on the network.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PAUCRI74
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, that is very true.  But Blackberry has released the update (a while ago) and it is Verizon that controls if and when the update is distributed to their locked phones (after they hopefully do testing for quality assurance and other things I'm sure).

The question being asked is, when will that happen?  Is Verizon going to release it - yes or no.  If so, when - and how long will it take?  Why is this so hard to answer?

A little clarity on this doesn't seem to be too much to ask.  This is a very important update for a number of reasons which is why a number of us are very interested in getting it sooner than later.

Thank you for your comment and the chance to clarify the issue!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just because the update was released for the unlocked international models, doesn't mean it was fully completed by Blackberry for the Verizon Wireless model. There would be additional testing and certification approvals from the various regulatory agencies and internal testing and technical approval from Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PAUCRI74
Enthusiast - Level 2

For some reason I can’t get back into the website – maybe I made too much noise and got erased so I’ll try to comment here.

I totally agree with your point! That’s why folks are asking the question – to try and get more definitive information.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2016/04/sweet-android-6-0-marshmallow-now-available-on-priv/

http://us.blackberry.com/software/smartphones/update/android-os.html

- note footnote number 2 for this link: “2 Availability timing will vary by carrier and region. Please check with your carrier for details.”

Just asking if the update will be implemented, yes or no. If yes, when?

Thanks again! - Paul

0 Likes