Re: When will Verizon push Android Marshmallow for the Blackberry Priv?
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

That is exactly what you said.  You said that Blackberry is free to push patches if they deem it necessary.  Why aren't they doing that? Because they send it to the carriers so they can push them.  This seems to work for all carriers except Verizon.  So why would Blackberry push updates around Verizon?  The only logical conclusion is that Verizon isn't pushing out the patches.

So, you're in total agreement with me that Verizon is not sending the patches which allows Blackberry to push these themselves.

You're blaming Blackberry for Verizon's inability to do the right thing.

Thanks again, I'm glad we're finally on the same side.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

No we are not. Blackberry can push those but they are the ones that refuse.

i rest my case, moving on. I have shredded your ideology on this but you can't see the forest for the trees.

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

As I said before, you can't or won't put together a rational argument.  Blackberry has given Verizon everything it needs to push patches.  Unless Verizon shows bad faith why would Blackberry circumvent the process that they contractually entered into?

So, to stick with Verizon it means giving up all other choices and buy iPhone or Nexus?  Why should the carrier dictate which phone is the right one for it's customers?  I didn't realize that Verizon is an autocracy.

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

I'd like to say a few words about Verizon support.

Verizon as a carrier provides a service.  As long as we can use that service, they have met with their obligations.  However, Verizon also sells products which meet a different criteria for support.  In the case of the Priv, you can not buy it from Blackberry.  Because of contracts between BlackBerry and Verizon, you can only buy this directly from Verizon.  Verizon sold the Priv at a premium ($720 vs $699 MSRP).  They list the phone as supporting Wifi calling which Verizon notes will be available in a software upgrade.  It also supports VoLTE which they allow to be turned on.

At home I cannot make or receive calls without long periods of silence or dropped calls because of weak signal strength.  This situation also drains battery of the phones because the radios have to be cranked up to maximum all the time.  After weeks working with support, they decided to send a femtocell.  Then I worked with them over many days because the phones (iPhone, Z30) wouldn't hook up to it.  They could never figure it out, gave up, and said that there is nothing more they could do.  I did my own research and found that the phones would hook up to the femtocell if I turned VoLTE off.  I asked to be upgraded from a 3g femtocell to a 4g one so I didn't need to disable this feature.  They said the 3g unit was all they would get, but wifi calling was coming "soon". I agreed that wifi calling would solve the issue nicely.

When I purchased the Priv, I asked if wifi calling would be addressed and the saies agent assured me it will be available very soon.

About a year and a half since I put in the femtocell I cannot use VoLTE, they have no plans to fix the large hole in their coverage, and no Wifi calling as promised "soon" verbally and in their documentation.  Add this to the unaddressed security issues that promote loss of private information, Identity theft, and alteration of the functionality of the phone and tell me that I am being unreasonable.

DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the Link, submitted my complaint.

Like others, I've checked these Community Forums, @VZWSupport at Twitter,

even phone calls with support. Pat and/or non-answers is all you get.

mnrdtl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I been in contact with BB (I can send you the exchange) in which they stated it was released Verizon months ago. Read articles on the advantages of MM for the Priv, I clearly says they're are security advantages of it. Why do other carriers have it if you claim BB was late to the party? You have no idea what you are talking about. Yes BB does release security updates but that is totally different from OS updates. With a new phone updates should be released in a timely manner.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I have every right to know what I'm talking about. How do YOU know what's going on other carriers? Provide proof of that if you dint mind.

0 Likes
DickLewis
Contributor - Level 3

Not in this lifetime, especially not an iPhone.

0 Likes
ggendel
Contributor - Level 1

Nice to see you're still around.  Here are the autoloader revision levels as of today for each carrier.  You can see it yourself on http://ca.blackberry.com/support/smartphones/Android-OS-Reload.html

Non-US carrier : AAG191

Vodafone Spain : AAG111

South Korea : AAG277

T-Mobile US : AAG191

AT&T : AAG202

Verizon : AAF055

The "F" instead of "G" means it's at Lollipop instead of Marshmallow.  In addition all carriers (except Verizon) have been security patched up to the September patch release (October is not out yet).

There have been 260 vulnerability patches sent to Verizon by Blackberry that have not gotten to the Priv.

Since you occasionally use "we" instead of I when talking about a position, it indicates to me that you are most likely an employee of Verizon.  Assuming that is incorrect, you are a spokesperson for Verizon in these forums.  Since I have a an FCC agent assigned to my case, I was sure to point out the statements that you have been exposing.  Specifically:

pherson wrote:

The FCC does not allow class action lawsuits.

and:

pherson wrote:

And the FCC? They won't put much work into it. Don't believe me? Just watch.

Charles Mattias, the FCC investigator assigned to look at security patches deployment by carriers would disagree with you.

The complaints are no longer getting the runaround responses they have in the past.  They are getting actual promises to look into the matter. We're all waiting for Verizon to follow through with these promises.

mnrdtl
Enthusiast - Level 3

This e-mail from my exchanges with BB. i highlighted some of it to help prove your point .

[Removed]

Give her a call if you doubt me

Chat transcription removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes