Why Buy a Blackberry?
pls4444

I am looking for a phone and I can't decide from all the choices. My husband thinks I should upgrade to a Blackberry. Is there something special or unique features that the Blackberry offers that I can't find in another phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why Buy a Blackberry?
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

pls4444 wrote:

I am looking for a phone and I can't decide from all the choices. My husband thinks I should upgrade to a Blackberry. Is there something special or unique features that the Blackberry offers that I can't find in another phone?

My dad's friend has a blackberry. She mainly uses the phone for email, organization and internet. Sometimes even text messaging. If you use the phone I'd say mainly for email, internet, organization and text....then blackberry is right for you.

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

unless you get the storm2 which is more app friendly than the rest bb's are basically pda  with internet and calling and none of verizons phone stand out too much in any category if they'd get their act together and setup something like the appstore for iphones they's show a great upside rather than charging for everything under the sun seperately like they do ...i mean whats the biggest feature on your phone lol vznavigator which the major of customers have to pay for? its kinda sad the top dog in wireless cant do more with the apps.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

hallcp1019 wrote:

unless you get the storm2 which is more app friendly than the rest bb's are basically pda  with internet and calling and none of verizons phone stand out too much in any category if they'd get their act together and setup something like the appstore for iphones they's show a great upside rather than charging for everything under the sun seperately like they do ...i mean whats the biggest feature on your phone lol vznavigator which the major of customers have to pay for? its kinda sad the top dog in wireless cant do more with the apps.

Hi,

The Tour has the same amount of memory as the Storm2 and can accomodate a lot of apps.  If a user is looking for apps, then I suggest Blackberry App World or Crackberry's App World.  There are categories for apps for just about anything you can think of; social messaging, games, sports, etc., a lot of which are free apps.  For the original person who started this thread, there are many reasons to buy a Blackberry, just as there are many reasons to buy any other smartphone.  One important factor to remember, any smartphone is going to cost you more each month on your wireless bill than a regular cell phone.  The reason is because of the required $29.99 monthly data charge.  This is required by all major cell phone operators (Some hide this fact by pricing it into the monthly charges).  It is there to help regulate charges to you for data.  Without it, you might be surprised by one day getting an astronomical bill with data charges. 

Bottom line, check out the Smartphone Resource Center at the link provided above in Verizon's menu or go by one of the Verizon stores.  I'm sure you will find answers to your questions there.

Sincerely,

Doc

0 Likes
pls4444

Thank you to all that replied. Doc, you were very helpful. I think I am going with the enV3.

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

pls4444 wrote:

Thank you to all that replied. Doc, you were very helpful. I think I am going with the enV3.

I think you will enjoy that phone.  It is a very popular one.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Hi! This is my first post, though I've been browsing the forums for a while. It sounds like you've made up your mind, but here's my 2 cents... I've had the Curve 8330 for 1.5 years. I ordered the EnV3 three days ago and it should be here Monday. The reason I chose to "downgrade" from a BlackBerry to a feature phone is because I work from home, so the BB is more than I need. I never used email on it. I also prefer to have a phone I can take anywhere and not have to worry about cold, humidity, sand, scratches, etc. And, this is just my own personal issue, but it really bugs me when people have their faces constantly in their smartphones instead of being fully present. The great thing about my BB, and what I may miss, is it's VERY dependable. I never had to worry about missing a call. There are thousands of apps for it, many free. And I did enjoy free streaming radio paired with a stereo headset. So, if you think you'll use push e-mail, have friends with BBs whom you can use Messenger with (free IM), like free Internet radio and will use mobile web browsing, you might like a BB. Also Crackberry has social groups, so you can exchange PINs to use Messenger with people all over who have like interests. OK, long-winded much? I'm really hoping I like the EnV3. I would love getting a $50 phone bill instead of $80+! My friend just downgraded from a smartphone to the Razzle and likes it. My husband wishes I'd stay with BB, because my learning curve on a feature phone is frustrating after having a smartphone. Best of luck with your new phone! Hope you like it!
0 Likes
KLW

WE HATE the black berry storm phone. They are not remotely closed to being in the same league as IPHONEs as promised by the sales rep.  In addition, within the fist 6-7 months of having the phones we have had to replace them five times. The biggest rub is when I express my dissatisfaction to a customer service rep. The “help” I received was more sales pitch.  The CS reply was after the warranty expires we would be eligible to sign a new contract that would allow us to get new phone at the 1-year pricing but with new two-year agreement. I was floored and could not say anything but WOW and no thanks.

In addition, Verizon do not have any applications that are compatible with the phones i.e. get it NOW.  I am tired of losing money from downloading apps from other sites and then have the phone break down. Then Verizon telling me they cannot transfer the application or credit me my money because they do not support the application.   I have been a customer for many years and until recently have had good things to say because Verizon would back their phone regardless who manufactured them. Now all I get is that we do not make the phones.  Here some advice from a future past customer either put the pressure on your suppliers to stand by their phones and/or stop selling non-superior phones to your customers.

Sincerely,

Future I-Phone User.

0 Likes
hallcp1019
Contributor - Level 2

i had the storm to say its a bad phone rediculous its pretty straight forward to use easy to set up and i admit there isnt an endless supply of apps but there are some decent one you can get. and any phone you get that you have to replace 5 times you need to look at how you're treatings the phone of course it wont be as rugged as a flip phone or standard blackberry but im not blaming you just saying as some one who used this phone a while that i cannot make myself believe you had 5 in a row "malfunction" im guessing user error :smileyhappy: i would still have it if it wasnt for the outrageous bill.  my suggestioni try sprint i got a family plan with two smart phones for 1500 mins and the phones have a larger number of apps than the bb one is a palm pro one is the touchscreen samsung with the sliding keyboard both have great processors as well above that of any bb and the eris and touchpro2 and the bill is 45 a month less than the comparable verizon plan ive been a alltel verizon customer for a while and currently still am but im working on selling my env3 and put toward the callelation fee

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

The first-gen Storm is notorious for having problems, unfortunately.

Re: free apps, have you tried CrackBerry App World or MobileRated? And not that this helps with your hardware problems, but if you back up your device on your PC via Desktop Manager, you can reload the apps without paying again.

Otherwise, enjoy the iPhone. My friend loves his device, just not the carrier.

0 Likes