Why did Verizon suddenly disable my RIMS gps
skatko

This is outrageous. AND in my opinion illegal, as when I 'signed up' for  2 years, that app was part of the program.

Does anyone know a workaround? 

Just FYI, yes have checked my settings and all are as they should be.  This happened after a 'forced' download.  Then when I went  to my blackberry desktop, it too was forced to take a download before I could restore any apps.  Naturally, the GPS maps was disabled.

Whom do we complain to?  Anybody going to do a viral youtube spot?????

Any ideas if RIMS can do anything about it?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why did Verizon suddenly disable my RIMS gps
Spiral
Master - Level 1

skatko wrote:

I did look but will look again.   It is BIS.  Google maps seems to work.  I downloaded it earlier today.

I have just looked through every folder and menu I can find. And, I did download it from the RIMS site two times. Same thing.

Good thing is that Google maps works, that means that your GPS locator system is operating properly.  I assume the program you are missing is "Blackberry Maps".  If so, Google Maps is a good alternative (some will say better) application.

As to why it was not loaded on your update, I don't know.  You may want to try and reload your OS and make sure that you select Blackberry Maps in the apllications selections section.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

skatko wrote:

This is outrageous. AND in my opinion illegal, as when I 'signed up' for  2 years, that app was part of the program.

Does anyone know a workaround? 

Just FYI, yes have checked my settings and all are as they should be.  This happened after a 'forced' download.  Then when I went  to my blackberry desktop, it too was forced to take a download before I could restore any apps.  Naturally, the GPS maps was disabled.

Whom do we complain to?  Anybody going to do a viral youtube spot?????

Any ideas if RIMS can do anything about it?

What Blackberry device?  What was the download? What is the OS you are running on your Blackberry?  Please provide us with some specific information so that we can attempt to help you with your problem.

0 Likes
skatko

Sorry.  Here is what I have:

Blackberry 9650 smartphone 3G, CDMA, wi-Fi,  v5.0.0.1006  platform 4.2.0.437

I don't know what else you might need.

The 'upgrade' showed up in my messages last week and would not let me get around it. I canceled it, but it would force a download. I couldn't clear it from the screen or exit out of it or anything.  It wasn't and OS upgrade but I'm not sure what you would call it.  Everything else is fine. 

I just noticed yesterday when I tried to use the GPS mapping, it was just gone.  I found some threads online where this had happened to others. 

I tried to reload it from my BB desktop, but before I could do any kind of 'restore', IT forced an 'update.

Then when I got back into it and found some old backups, the MAPS stuff was 'grayed out'. 

Is there any other info you need?  I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sheila

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

On your Blackberry device, open the browser.  Go to mobile.blackberry.com and you will find a link for Blackberry Maps.  Look under the section "What's New" and you find the link.  Download and see if that fixes your problem.  I hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes
skatko

I appreciate that advice but I did try it.....no luck. It says it downloads, and the installer pops up, but then...no MAPS icon.  Just not there. I really think Verizon did something to disable it! 

:smileysurprised: I may  be a  bit of a conspiracy nut.....

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

skatko wrote:

I appreciate that advice but I did try it.....no luck. It says it downloads, and the installer pops up, but then...no MAPS icon.  Just not there. I really think Verizon did something to disable it! 

:smileysurprised: I may  be a  bit of a conspiracy nut.....

Have you searched all of your folders for the application?  sometimes they get installed into an unexpected folder. Could it be hidden?  go into the menu and select "show hidden files".

Is your data network BIS (personal) or BES (business)?  Have you tried other map applications such as google maps (from appworld)?

0 Likes
skatko

I did look but will look again.   It is BIS.  Google maps seems to work.  I downloaded it earlier today.

I have just looked through every folder and menu I can find. And, I did download it from the RIMS site two times. Same thing.

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

skatko wrote:

Good thing is that Google maps works, that means that your GPS locator system is operating properly.  I assume the program you are missing is "Blackberry Maps".  If so, Google Maps is a good alternative (some will say better) application.

As to why it was not loaded on your update, I don't know.  You may want to try and reload your OS and make sure that you select Blackberry Maps in the apllications selections section.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I agree with Spiral.  You should go ahead and reload your Operating System on your device and that should get Maps back onto your device. 

Doc

0 Likes
skatko

I will try that. It sure can't  hurt.

0 Likes