computer interntet
Kristofer

My device has wifi. Can i connect to the internet on my home computer somehow??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: computer interntet
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
The Bold is wi-fi capable, which means if there is a wif-fi signal, the device can use that signal to access the internet. If you have a wireless router in your home that is broadcasting, your Bold should be able to pick it up and connect to your home internet connection. I have done this with my Bold. You will have to enter your network key during wifi set up if you have your network secured, which it should be.

If you are talking about using the Bold as a "hotspot", and connecting to the internet through the Bold, then you are out of luck - the Bold supports tethering (connecting to it as a modem via USB) at an added cost, but it is not usable as a wireless "hotspot" that I am aware of.

Anyone who knows better, feel free to step in an tell us!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
The Bold is wi-fi capable, which means if there is a wif-fi signal, the device can use that signal to access the internet. If you have a wireless router in your home that is broadcasting, your Bold should be able to pick it up and connect to your home internet connection. I have done this with my Bold. You will have to enter your network key during wifi set up if you have your network secured, which it should be.

If you are talking about using the Bold as a "hotspot", and connecting to the internet through the Bold, then you are out of luck - the Bold supports tethering (connecting to it as a modem via USB) at an added cost, but it is not usable as a wireless "hotspot" that I am aware of.

Anyone who knows better, feel free to step in an tell us!
0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Suzy,

You are correct in that none of the Blackberry devices to date act as hotspot devices.  This has been kicked around in some of the other website forums as a possible feature on devices in the near future from Blackberry, but no official statement about it yet.  I do know that other devices, such as the recently released HTC ThunderBolt, have the hotspot capability.  A user can share their signal with up to eight devices with Mobile Hotspot.  Hope this helps,

Doc

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Thanks for the added info, Doc. I thought it was only a few of the smartphones that were capable of acting as a "hotspot". To Kristofer, if you want to use your Bold as a modem (tether it to your computer for internet access), you CAN, but it is an added charge for a limited amount of data.

The "wi-fi" capability of the Bold is the ability to connect to a wireless network and use that signal to connect the Bold to the internet, not any other devices. Hope that makes sense....
0 Likes