dial-up com port settings when tethering a berry
urville

So, i know theres no way the basic dial-up connection com port settings are optimal for the much higher speed 3g broadband when tethering a blackberry as a modem. Also what about the hardware control etc... anyone who knows anything about this would be a great help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: dial-up com port settings when tethering a berry
johnrule
Enthusiast - Level 2

> But what about hardware control

Off

> modem error control

Off

> modem compression?

Off

> Also, i wonder about the PPP settings. Whats correct for this process?

I believe that is Point to Point Protocol...leave that selected.

> So it's a given that i just propped the port to 921600 bps.

Yes, use the highest bps setting. I was getting almost 900 k bps at times, but with VZAccess i sometimes get 2 Mbs, so I am glad I downgraded to 4.7. I will wait for the bugs to be worked out. However, it is good to have an alternate connection method as a backup.

JR

View solution in original post

0 Likes
johnrule
Enthusiast - Level 2

In Windows XP, you use the "New Connection Wizard", and choose dial-up connection as your method. I believe the wizard polls for a valid modem (found mine on COM4) and then create the driver for it. The number that I use to dial is #777...that's it! it works just like an old modem but faster. You should set the bps to max by the way.

I imagine this would work on any OS (USB modem method), and I would be curious if anyone has used this method in OSX or Linux?

Thanks,

JR

0 Likes
urville

no no, i know how to connect it. For me it's a dial-up connection dialing uh... either #98* or *98#, but thats not what i am asking at all, though thanks for trying. I'm talking about the actual com port settings and I use Vista not XP, should have mentioned though the settings are basically the same. i'm talking about the settings for the com port you access, by opening the dialup connection, and clicking properties, and then configure, etc

maybe noone rememebrs but back in the day on XP in fact and ME and 98 a dialup connections default port settings were like 9600 bps, if you left it there and tried using a 56k connection it wouldnt be as fast as if you set it, properly, to 115200. and 115200 is the current default, well lets face it that there no way the data connection on these phones is that slow. So it's a given that i just propped the port to 921600 bps.

But what about hardware control, modem error control, modem compression? Abad setting can affect performance greatly on such connections since they were never really intended for things like mobile broadband but for protocols that are much slower like a 56k connection using a real actual modem over an analog phone lne.

Also, i wonder about the PPP settings. Whats correct for this process? perhaps this method again since it isnt really like a true modem should have different settings. Software compression? multi-link for single link? LCP extentions?

I know enough to know these may need changing, but not enough to be sure if they do or not.

0 Likes
johnrule
Enthusiast - Level 2

> But what about hardware control

Off

> modem error control

Off

> modem compression?

Off

> Also, i wonder about the PPP settings. Whats correct for this process?

I believe that is Point to Point Protocol...leave that selected.

> So it's a given that i just propped the port to 921600 bps.

Yes, use the highest bps setting. I was getting almost 900 k bps at times, but with VZAccess i sometimes get 2 Mbs, so I am glad I downgraded to 4.7. I will wait for the bugs to be worked out. However, it is good to have an alternate connection method as a backup.

JR

0 Likes