does it reset contract if you activate a new line?
Shelbyb19

I have an upgrade in late march and want to use it, but my phone won't even turn on let alone make a call. Does it reset my contract and therefore take away my upgrade if I activate an old phone I have saved from before?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: does it reset contract if you activate a new line?
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

StreetDocRN- thank you for that information.  That is absolutely correct.  In addition,  you have the following options for activating a different wireless device on your number:

1.  Dial *228 (Send) and press option 1, when prompted, from the device you want to activate and listen for further instructions. Please ensure the wireless device you wish to deactivate is powered off.

2.  Sign in to “My Verizon” using your Account Owner user ID and password and click “Activate a Device” icon located under “Device” in the “I Want To” section of your home page. 

Thank you,

Vanessa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Shelbyb19 wrote:

I have an upgrade in late march and want to use it, but my phone won't even turn on let alone make a call. Does it reset my contract and therefore take away my upgrade if I activate an old phone I have saved from before?

Hi,

No, the contract is renewed only if you buy a new device under the contract price.  Activating an old device will not reset your contract.  You can activate it from My Verizon.  Good luck.

Doc

0 Likes
vanessas_vzw
Verizon Employee

StreetDocRN- thank you for that information.  That is absolutely correct.  In addition,  you have the following options for activating a different wireless device on your number:

1.  Dial *228 (Send) and press option 1, when prompted, from the device you want to activate and listen for further instructions. Please ensure the wireless device you wish to deactivate is powered off.

2.  Sign in to “My Verizon” using your Account Owner user ID and password and click “Activate a Device” icon located under “Device” in the “I Want To” section of your home page. 

Thank you,

Vanessa

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you StreetDocRN, you are correct in saying that activating a previously used phone will not renew the contract on the line or push out the upgrade eligibility. As you mentioned the contract is only renewed when upgrading to a new device at a discount price and accepting a new agreement.

You have the following options for activating a different wireless device on your number:

1.        Dial *228 (Send) and press option 1, when prompted, from the device you want to activate and listen for further instructions. Please ensure the wireless device you wish to deactivate is powered off.

2.        Sign in to “My Verizon” using your Account Owner user ID and password and click “Activate a Device” icon located under “Device” in the “I Want To” section of your home page. 

Hope this helps, please feel free to contact us back if you need more assistance.

John B

0 Likes