Auto-Retrieve OFF - what does this do / not do?
BlackstoneStarShip
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got Alcatel's GoFlip V (not a smart phone, heh, heh...) and it has a setting for text messaging called "Auto-Retrieve" (automatically retrieve messages).

If it is turned 'OFF", what does this do or not do to messaging?

If someone sends an SMS, (less than 135 characters with no emoticons, videos, or photos), and it is turned off, what happens - does the text still go thru?

If a MMS is sent what happens with it off?

What do senders get if it is off?

We find consultations, we learn tricks with which we deceive ourselves, but the essential thing - the way - we do not find. Listen to the river...
0 Likes
when auto-retrieve is on, sometimes MMS download problem
BlackstoneStarShip
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK - when I got auto-retrieve on, and I'm off wifi, occasionally a MMS will come in as Download later... and when I try to download it says download success then switches to can't download - download later. Then later it still doesn't manually download, and after two weeks the download times out and it disappears.

Sometimes I'll ask sender to resend and it comes thru fine - other times it keeps having problem.

Then there is the Messages not sent notification thing (about now at 6 messages), but there's nothing there to send - just increments another one every once in awhile... I delete the notification, but every time I enter messages to read, it pops back up...

We find consultations, we learn tricks with which we deceive ourselves, but the essential thing - the way - we do not find. Listen to the river...
0 Likes
Re: Auto-Retrieve OFF - what does this do / not do?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out, BlackstoneStarShip. If you are having issues with receiving MMS messages it would be suggested that you leave Auto Retrieve turned on https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-225943/

-Kevin

0 Likes
Re: when auto-retrieve is on, sometimes MMS download problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@BlackstoneStarShip ,

Thank you for those additional details. Auto-retrieve and Roaming auto-retrieve should both be left on the default "on" setting, as this allows your phone to look for and receive texts as they become available. Regarding these unsent texts that you had said you have 6 of, is there anything common with those texts compared to others that you send without issue? When did this start happening?

-Russell

0 Likes
Re: when auto-retrieve is on, sometimes MMS download problem
BlackstoneStarShip
Enthusiast - Level 1

FYI: the 6 "ghost" texts were never created - just get added outta thin air...first there were two, then four, now six!  glitch, gremlins, virus, awakened AI, etc. doesn't matter, 'cause:

NO WORRIES - I just turned messaging off completely and that's that. Texting really Sux 😛

All I need is a phone to call out - that others call to in on... and an answering machine - all of which I can take with me unlike a land line ~ and costs lots less! (of course using my 2-meter handitalkie SWR is cheaper and more fun, but my basestation HF rig can reach Australia... chat room-like PSK31 is cooler than texting ever was, but I digress)

I tried this texting thing for a year - not impressed with the phenomena! Texting is an addiction like social media (no, I have no twit account, no fakebook account, etc.). Contributes to a life of mediocrity, accidents, injury, death. A vice. Lures one into one sided conversation - cowardly. Talking on a phone is impersonal enough ~ interferes with person to person meeting, which is a major part of life or should be. Texting is not like writing a letter and mailing or emailing, which is never meant to be a conversation, only communication.

Next time I want to converse with someone, or them me, a phone call or just come on over will be required... to heck with this pathetic texting!

0 Likes
Re: Auto-Retrieve OFF - what does this do / not do?
BlackstoneStarShip
Enthusiast - Level 1

with auto-retrieve off, SMS still come thru, MMS comes in as a download now or later. As far as senders knowing their text didn't go thru if you never download? Apparently they never know... what a pathetic thing this texting is...

0 Likes