Re: BYOD REBATE SCAM!!!!! DO NOT FALL FOR IT
jozigirl

I signed up online and paid for my phone minus the rebate and waited for my phone to be switched. The option I was choosing was to pay for the phone upfront minus rebate rather than spreading the rebate over 24 months as a bill credit. 

So I do that, my card is charged, my current phone is entered for trade in and I wait for the next steps. But nothing happens.  So I start following up on when I can pick up the new phone (already received the package to send the old one in.)  Verizon says that due to technical issues they need to cancel the transaction and start again.  My trade in phone is already tied up by this transaction in Verizon's system and so is my money which takes a week to return to my account.  They suggest calling in to do everything after 7 days when my phone releases.     

So, I wait for everything to release then call in to try this all again.  I call in and the person who is helping me insists the only way to do the transaction is to do the rebate credit over 24 months.  I do not want to do that but he insists it is the only way he can help me.  I ask if I'm able to immediately pay the phone off at the price minus rebate once the account is established if this is the only way he can set it up and he says it is no issue.  Just get the payoff, submit payment and I'm good to go.

But surprise after it's all set up I can't pay off the phone at the rebate price (knowing my bill will return to a normal price with no credit).  I can pay off my phone at full price, but then I also lose the rebate credit because my phone is paid off.  So in essence the ONLY option is to wait 24 months for the rebate to play out.  From my perspective the only reason I was told i couldn't choose the option of paying for the phone up front was to get me into a "pseudo contract" of 24 months.  I can afford to pay off the phone and probably will then move to another carrier as a result. But someone else that can't afford could find themselves stuck in a plan that may not provide the coverage they need because they can't afford to pay off the phone and move to a carrier that has suitable coverage.

Deceptive practices.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We never want you to feel as if you were not given the promotion you should have received. We will be happy to look into this for you. For your account safety and concerns, we would need to review your account in a private arena. 

Please send us a private message on our Facebook page or send us a DM to @VZWSupport on Twitter, so we can further assist you.

0 Likes
sferrin

Add me to the list of people getting scammed.  Have been on the phone for hours on at least four different occasions.  Nothing.  "Oh, it doesn't show up for 45 days until you started your account." "We show that we sent it."  (They didn't.  Yes, I know how to check a spam filter, thank you.)  "It'll be there in 24 hours."  It wasn't.  "It'll be there in 24 hours." Again.  "Why does it take 24 hours, it's electronic."  "Uhh. . . ."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sferrin, we are truly sorry to hear about your overall experience. Making sure you are receiving your promotional rebate is important. Allow us the opportunity to take a closer look at the details. We have sent you a Private Message. Can you please respond to that message? Thank you.  

0 Likes
ollie293
Enthusiast - Level 3

@vzw_customer_support please help. Check out this lengthy thread. Many posts and messages and I still don’t have a resolution. I was FINALLY told verizon made a mistake and got a auto text stating I’d receive the gift card in 4-6 weeks. It’s been 8 weeks and still nothing. This has been the craziest experience I’ve ever gone through with any company. Please just make this right! Thank you.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are dedicated to getting to the bottom of this once and for all, ollie293. Please send a Private Note and we can investigate this to a resolution! 

0 Likes
ollie293
Enthusiast - Level 3

I sent a private message. I’ll continue to post/document the experience so other members can see the resolution. Thank you!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is definitely not the experience we want you to have. Please reply to our Private Note, so we can take a closer look. 

0 Likes