Bring your own device rebate scam
EID
Enthusiast - Level 2

I correctly filled out the online form. I called and confirmed with the rebate department. I have been regularly checking with my confirmation number. Today, I received an email saying "We've got it!" ... A "friendly reminder" that my $250 rebate for bring your own phone was still being validated and if I meet all the requirements, to expect my rebate by January 4, 2022. Yes, not a typo. 2022. I submitted the request online on 4/26/2020 and the website said it should be validated around June 20, 2020 if terms are met... So I am supposed to wait A YEAR AND A HALF for my rebate?!?! Total scam. Once the terms of my rebate are fulfilled (45 days of continuous SIM card activation) and it is validated, I am switching. Totally disgusted. I switched to Verizon because it was supposed to be the best service area and I barely have one bar at my house (AT&T had 3 bars!!). I have to use internet calling. So many hidden fees and deceit like this. Horrible. 

Re: Bring your own device rebate scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand your concerns related to the rebate timeframe. With regard to the rebate please confirm the time using the following link here https://www.yourdigitalrebatecenter.com/#!/check-my-status. We understand that you may have received an email with the date shown but just to make sure this is accurate please use the link provided to check the status. JasperM_VZW

0 Likes
aoklaw

I cannot get anywhere with my promised promo.  I switched to Verizon because of an offer for $150 per line to switch.  I was told I would receive an email within 30 days and that I would have to enter the included code in order to get the money.

Well, I never go that email, and frankly forgot about everything while we were hit with covid.  Now, on my third call to Verizon I am told no such rebate offer ever existed! 

I will now switch again from Verizon and get a real rebate offer from T_Mobile!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sorry to hear about the situation as you always deserve clear and accurate information. How many rebates were you expecting? To confirm, at this time there has not been a rebate submnission completed? 

YaleK_VZW

0 Likes
SpruceZeus
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sounds familiar! 

I went online Sept 2nd and was told about a promo and I saved the entire chat. $250, $350, $450 deal (debit cards) by online representative "ideck". I get the promo by bringing my own device ($250 for starter unlimited, $350 for the tier up and so on). The promo = BYODGET250. 

It would not work on the rebate center website link I was given by the rep.

When I called in today (Sept 7) to ask about it, spoke with a live rep. I emailed her the entire chat and proved it was offered to me and how I confirmed many times in the chat. Her and the manager agreed but said it was a mistake and I get ...nothing. They apologized and said I would need to get a bigger unlimited plan or I could buy some new $1000 phones to get a $300 promo. (Seriously).

This is not some simple misunderstanding. I left my previous carrier based on what I was told on paper. Now that i made the change, I am out $500! This also makes me a non-new-customer for new plans. This is hilariously poor form.

I demand my rebates for the two lines or equal compensation. This is actually illegal. Anyone who wants to contact me, make it soon and I will provide you with all the details and the chat document. I even have my chat survey responses in there. 

This is illegal and I can show anyone

Casey OBrien
0 Likes
DuncanFam90
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am dealing with the same issue. We brought over our 7 lines from Sprint, who we had been with for 18 years. Verizon coverage is better in our area now that the kids have moved out and living in different to areas. I signed up because of the BYODGET300 deal, which clearly stated was a prepaid MasterCard. With this we would be getting a $2,100 prepaid MasterCard. I verified this in three separate chats, which each rep confirmed which I have screenshots of. I told them I was paying off our phones at sprint using a credit card and would pay it off with the prepaid card, so I definitely didn’t want a Verizon ecard. I made sure to verify this. We then receive five $300 Verizon ecards by email after submitting the rebate. When I called to inquire why the Verizon cards I was told they hadn’t done the prepaid MasterCard rebate in months and when I signed up the rebate was for a Verizon ecard. This is not true, there is no way I would charge 1,500 to a credit card if I knew i was not getting a prepaid MasterCard. After multiple hours on chat I finally spoke to someone today who told me there is nothing they could do other than credit me $50 for the months of interest I’ll be paying on my credit card.  I am so beyond angry, as this comes after they spread my 7 lines out onto 3 accounts when  they specifically said they would put them on one. With 3 different accounts and no multi-line discounts we paid over $550 the first month (since I signed up for auto pay to get THAT discount). Also when I finished the chat after the rep added our phones and ordered the SIM cards a pop up came up that by bringing our own phones and keeping our numbers the activation fees would be waived. Nope!! They took 50% off per phone, but still charged $20 per phone, $140 and refused to honor that, even tho I took a screenshot. Their standard answer, that deal had expired and they couldn’t honor it. As soon as our 6 months is up our 7 lines are leaving. Yes, if you leave before 6 months they’ll charge you what they sent you in rebates. Also I’m still waiting on the rebates for the 2 lines they messed up up and originally put in separate accounts. Read the fine print!! Liars and scammers, that’s all they are.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@DuncanFam90 It's our goal to always provide you with the correct, and necessary information when signing up for new service. We want to make sure you're able to get every promotion you qualify for. I've sent you a Private Note so we can continue.

0 Likes
DuncanFam90
Enthusiast - Level 2

Copies of 4 separate chats where I asked about the form of the rebate and was assured it was not a monthly credit or verizon ecard. 

1)

so verizon would pay us 2,100 if we brought over 7 phones to a family planRead

You

at 11:18, Jul 4:

yes that is correct gift card

Tameka

at 11:19, Jul 4:

is it a visa gift card? we have two phones I would need to buy out before we could switch, and i would want to be able to pay my credit card with the gift cardRead

You

at 11:20, Jul 4:

yes it is a visa gift card

2)

at 23:04, Jul 5:

ok, good. and the 300 per line is in the form of a visa gift card, not a monthly credit, correct?Read

You

at 23:05, Jul 5:

so for 7 lines it would be 2,100Read

You

Correct (:

Bryana

just want to make sure as I will be paying off a couple of the phones and will want to pay off the credit card I put them onRead

You

at 23:06, Jul 5:

Thank you Bryana, you have been very helpfulRead

3)

Carly

at 21:17, Jul 7:

good! also just to verify, we will be getting the $300 per line in the form of a visa gift card, correct?Read

You

at 21:18, Jul 7:

That's what I have been told, checking multiple times :)Read

You

at 21:18, Jul 7:

Yes, that is right. For each line that you're 1. Porting over a number. 2. bringing over your own device and 3. Going on the Play, Do, or Get plans

4)

Was there anything else I could assist you with tonight?

Carly

at 22:03, Jul 7:

Nope, I think that's it. I was told the***** visa gift card would come in 6-8 weeksRead

You

at 22:03, Jul 7:

Yes, that is correct! Thank you so much for chatting with me tonight and welcome to the Verizon family! I would greatly appreciate it if you left a survey about your experience with me today. 9s or 10s are considered excellent!

0 Likes
DuncanFam90
Enthusiast - Level 2

DuncanFam90_0-1599937786213.png

0 Likes
EID
Enthusiast - Level 2

You finally just gave me a bill credit for $250. But obviously, based on all these comments, this bring your own device rebate is not living up to the expectations you give your new customers. We shouldn't have to call 4 times for you to get it right (or still wrong in some cases). I probably spent 3 hours on this rebate. I do not foresee myself staying with Verizon. And my service is actually worse at my house than it was with at&t. I have to use Wi-Fi calling and I get virtually no data service. As someone who lives along the Gulf coast, and who loses power a lot, having to use Wi-Fi calling and not having data work is completely unacceptable. I have ONE bar without WiFi calling. You tout your company as the best coverage. and you nickel and dime for every additional service. If your coverage was the best, I'd be fine with that. But it is not ... and the amount of effort I had to put into getting $250 back somehow is also completely unacceptable.