Can gift card be used to purchase new phone?
jmatzag

In early May I switched over 4 lines through the BYOD program.  I applied for the rebates right away and followed all the rules to the letter.  All the phones we brought over have been activated for over 45 days now.   I received emails from Verizon announcing that my gift cards were ready, which is great.  

The problem is that when I went into a Verizon store to discuss using the gift card to purchase a new phone, I was told that I can NOT use the gift card to buy a new phone from Verizon.  He told me that I had to wait 6 months to buy a new device from them and that I have to buy it myself or do a payment plan - no gift cards accepted.  why?   There is nothing in the fine print that says that and I told him so but he was insistent.  

I know you need to stay with Verizon for one year otherwise they will charge you back for the balance of the gift cards, but 6 months before you can use your gift card to buy a new device from them?  He told me I could walk into the Apple store and buy a new phone and activate it with Verizon no problem.  But nope, cannot use my credit to buy a phone from them.  I can only use it to pay my bill.

VERY frustrated that people in their stores are so misinformed!!!

0 Likes
Re: Can gift card be used to purchase new phone?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, jmatzag. I understand the frustration when it comes to being able to use your gift cards in the method you prefer. I know it is important for you to be able to have all the information of the promotions that you are receiving. Can you please provide us with the information of which store did you visit?

0 Likes
jmatzag

I went to the Woodland Hills Verizon store. 

0 Likes
Doggo
Contributor - Level 3

I'll be blunt. Store reps are sales drones and not customer service. Many would rather shift responsibility to customer service instead of helping a customer with accurate information.

https://www.verizon.com/products/gift-cards/

On Verizon's own site it says gift cards can be used for devices. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Yes, jmatzag, you sure can use your Verizon gift card towards the purchase of a new phone! Check it out: https://www.verizon.com/products/gift-cards/. StephannieP_VZW

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Doggo, we regret to learn of your store experience. If you still need help with applying a Verizon Gift Card to your order please let us know.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes