Moto Z3 Play now available for Verizon BYOD
carol_vzw
Verizon Employee

From Motorola:

With moto z3 play, go all weekend with up to 40 hours of combined battery life just by snapping on a moto mod™. Plus, get a virtually borderless display, dual depth-sensing cameras, and more.

Moto Z3 Play V.png

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Moto Z3 Play now available for Verizon BYOD
Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used this post as well this

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Bring-Your-Own-Device/Verizon-Certified-Unlocked-Android-Sm... 

To help decide on buying this phone to use on Verizon.

It is also advertised by Moto directly as Verizon compatible.

I bought an unlocked Z3 Play XT1929-4, the specific sub-model, from Moto and while activating it found IMEI was not registered with Verizon as compatible using this:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/

This message was displayed.

"

Unfortunately, you can't activate this device on our network right now.

Give us a call at 800.922.0204 to activate or shop our most popular devices."

I also used similar websites from the other 3 cellphone providers to check the status of the IMEI, and all three web sites confirmed it was compatible with their networks, as expected and advertised by Motorola.

I then checked with two Verizon MVNO websites, and it too returned, its not compatible, as expected.

However, all functions expect of the phone work as I tested it using my existing Verizon SIM card that I simply removed from my working phone, and I then I spent an hour each with Verizon and Moto tech Tier 2 support, to resolve the IMEI issue.

Moto said it was Verizon's job to insure the IMEI numbers were in their compatibility database.

Verizon said it was Moto's fault, and if the IMEI number isn't there, it means it isn't compatible.

Verizon tech agreed I should return the phone, and I asked the Moto tech for an RMA since brand new, returns are free.

Yesterday, the IMEI in question is now in the database.

However, when I took an identical friend's Z3 Play phone and checked his IMEI against the Verizon database, it too was not compatible. 

My phone was manufactured in October, 2019, and my friend phone was April 2019.  There was clearly enough time to register these numbers, or to program the database to identify the phone's specs, and decide if its compatible or not, since any IMEI checker website can do the same.

Therefore, ODI or BYOD phones can be a major pain activating, if you don't already have an activated SIM card.

I think this is Verizon's issue and it should be escalated to management.  This is not the first time its happened to a compatible phone, but could be a ploy to force customers to buy Verizon stocked phones, which are always in the database, versus from other sources.

@carol_vzw wrote:

From Motorola:

With moto z3 play, go all weekend with up to 40 hours of combined battery life just by snapping on a moto mod™. Plus, get a virtually borderless display, dual depth-sensing cameras, and more.

Moto Z3 Play V.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important it is to have your device working correctly, we'll be glad to clarify this for you. For certain devices it is necessary to manually add them to our database. Keep in mind that since it is not Verizon device, we can't guarantee that all services will work correctly with it.

AlfredoL_VZW

Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

What seems to have happened is someone entered it into Verizon database.

It can only be someone with Verizon because another identical Z3 Play XT1929-4, whose IMEI was not known to any Verizon tech, remains 'not compatible'. 

This hassle would discourage consumers from buying non-Verizon branded phones since the IMEI check is very easy to do before actually buying a phone, particularly if done retail, even if technically a phone would work.  I spoke to Moto that it would impact their sales if this issue was left unresolved, and Verizon has no incentive to be responsive unless Moto and Verizon have a firm agreement not to let this IMEI issue drag on.

Finally, if Verzion requires non-Verzion BYOD or ODI phones to be checked at Verizon stores physically, they should say so, to avoid the long telephone calls hassles that have no resolution.

0 Likes
Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the quick reply Smiley Happy.  Yes, on the bold highlights, that is understood.

Thank you for confirming that very likely, a Verzion tech indeed likely put my IMEI number in their database, as only they and Moto know the number in question.

But Verizon should also say so clearly, when it says BYOD phones are allowed into their network, that some functions will/may not work and that as a non-Verizon phone, such issues should be expected.  I knew this already beforehand, such as WIfi calling, from reading many non-official discussions, but Verizon should mention this explicitly on a FAQ or such.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/t5/Android-General/Wifi-Calling-Service-on-BYOD-Unlocked-Phone... 

Thank you for the quick review, and I leave this message for others in the future who will likely encounter such unecessary trouble.

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

We know how important it is to have your device working correctly, we'll be glad to clarify this for you. For certain devices it is necessary to manually add them to our database. Keep in mind that since it is not Verizon device, we can't guarantee that all services will work correctly with it.

AlfredoL_VZW

0 Likes
Brobdingnag
Enthusiast - Level 3

Readers should know:

XT1929 is the actual Model number of the Z3 Play, with the submodel being a number afterwards, e.g. XT1929-4 is the North American unlocked model sold directly by Motorola's US web store.

https://fccid.io/IHDT56XE5/Letter/Product-Equality-Declaration-3788587.pdf

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Brobdingnag, we thank you for the updated information and for your time and patience too. As a friendly reminder, our customers can check to see if a device they'd like to activate on a Verizon account is compatible with our network by visiting our Bring Your Own Phone or Device website at https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ and entering the Device ID/IMEI numbers. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes