ROG Phone 5
jackel1138
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need some clarification on something. I desperately want to get the new Asus ROG phone 5, but every retailer says it does not work on Verizon network because it's GSM only. Now I had heard that Verizon was basically abandoning CDMA and going full GSM last year. So what am I missing? If I try to activate an unlocked rog phone 5 on Verizon will it not work? An earlier post from 2018 said that Verizon was working on software to get Asus's phone on their network. Asus is a great company. Razer is a great company. Why is it still not clear whether we can use these niche performance phones on Verizon? 

0 Likes
Re: ROG Phone 5
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is important that you have a device that performs the way you need it to. Currently, devices need to be certified to work on the network as part of our Customer Provided Equipment Program. Devices that are not certified may not be in our Device Database. Currently, the Asus ROG series of devices is not listed as being part of the Customer Provided Equipment Program.

PeterP-VZW

0 Likes
jackel1138
Enthusiast - Level 1

That doesn't exactly answer my question. I'm aware that the device isn't listed on your website for BYOD, I'm wanting to know if it would still technically work, and if there were still efforts in the works to make that happen if not. Preferably I'd like to hear from somebody who has already tried this. And most of all, I want to know why Verizon says they don't support GSM only devices when they said they'd be abandoning CDMA last year. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jackel1138, 

We want to do our best to work. This is not an easy question to answer fully. Since the device is not listed as compatible, it may not even activate. In my experience, if it does activate, then you most likely will not be able to use data services or other functions. We do not use the GSM technology on our network, even though we are phasing put CDMA. We use the LTE and 5G technologies currently. 

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
Ryanjohnsonbaugh

I have an Asus ROG phone 3 on Verizon. I assume the 5 would work the same. You can use it for 4G and 5G data. Meaning Google voice, Google duo, ect will work. However the Verizon phone number will not receive calls or text messages. The default messaging app and phone app will not work. You can forward your Verizon number to a Google voice number for calls and log into Verizon website for texts. However if you need to verify a number via text for a security code for a secure account like a bank, Uber, ect. They will not deliver the text to a Google voice number or make it visible via Verizon website. You would need to move sim card back to old phone to get those. Another deficiency and probably the reason Verizon won't say it works without a software update from Asus has to do with calling 911. Because it is VoIP the tracking information isn't available to 911. I assume this is one of the major differences between VoIP and VoLTE. Normally you don't need a phone plan or phone unlocked to call 911 via the default calling app, but that will not work with Asus ROG phones with a Verizon sim. 

0 Likes
FKVWQUESTIONS

I have an ROG 2 and it has ZERO oip anything capabilities. Even on "tested" AT&T GSM, I have ZERO oip functionality. Unless you are somewhere with 24/7 cellular signal, this series of phones is not for you. 

I can not even send a text over wifi without the aid of a 3rd party app. Which is why I stopped buying ROG phones. If you insist on having an ROG, good luck.

Otherwise, I would suggest getting a Samsung or something more mainstream. Almost the same specs for almost the same money. 

0 Likes
Latamayo

Hey there so do you guys now support the Asus ROG phone 5 now/yet ???

I also am wanting to purchase this device , but of course I'd like it to be on my service provider I've had for the past 15 years and not switch or change that ?

Thanks lemme know 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Latamayo. I am sure you would like to get this new phone. You can see what phones are compatible with our network here: https://www.verizon.com/sales/digital/byod.html?&lineNum=1#/checkDevice Does this help?  -Amber

0 Likes