Re: Rebate Scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TVall1, thank you so very much for bringing over 6 lines to our service. We're alarmed to read that for some reason your rebate submissions were denied. Additionally, we always want to make sure you're on the plan that you signed up for. This is definitely not what we want to happen at all. Allow us to investigate this so we can come to a resolution. I've sent you a Private Message so I can gather much-needed information to assist you further. Please respond back to us in the Private Message to continue.  AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
bb1231
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, they scammed me.  $400 CC + $200 credit. 

To qualify I needed to upgrade my plan, but now they are telling me that I don't qualify because I didn't switch from a different carrier. They knew I was a current customer because they offered me the rebate to upgrade to a more expensive plan

0 Likes
digitalagent
Enthusiast - Level 1

We feel like we've really been scammed. We switched with 2019 Black Friday deal at Best Buy. You swap carriers and get $400 rebate for each phone. Best Buy rep mentioned it numerous times during the transaction. We've been with AT&T for 20 years. I can't believe we fell for this scam. Best Buy rep never explained it to us and it was very certainly not clear in the ad, but the catch was you had to use the purchase plan. So we're being punished for being good customers and paying for our phones up front? Even the rejection doesn't mention this absurd loophole (see below). We checked off every box mentioned in the rejection. Seems like Verizon is actively working to literally bait and switch people out of their money. After we get the revised rejection which I'm sure is coming, we're heading back to AT&T. 

Insult to injury - Verizon's system went down while we were provisioning our phones. We were stuck in line for 2 hours with many many people behind us who very unhappy. And Best Buy said it happens all the time when they have promotions around holidays. 

This is a HORRIBLE way to do business! I wll tell every friend, every family member, and every social media follower about this unethical and egregious business practive. Attorney General and BBB are next as well. 

Rejection reads:

If your status is invalid, please email any validating information along with your wireless phone number and tracking number to [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service].

Eligibility Requirements:

• Select 4G/5G Smartphones (minimum retail price of $600) (CHECK)
  • New Line Required (CHECK)
  • Port In Required (CHECK)
  • Unlimited Plan Required (CHECK)
  • Consumer Accounts only (CHECK!)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bb1231 I'm sorry to learn of your experience, and want to make sure you are on the plan you actually want and need. Can you tell us if you changed plans thinking you would get a rebate? That has never been a rebate that I can remember in my time here. Did you submit for it? What was the process you completed to get this rebate? DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes
digitalagent
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is the a mail address to respond to? I don't want personal information in this forum. Sending to [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service] bounces every time. Please send a message to my email address and I'll reply. 

0 Likes
digitalagent
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I read the ad on Verizon's site but the first part of deal mentioned a payment plan. The second part, that I could find, did not. Best Buy seemed to have the same deal but you didn't have to use a payment plan to get a discount up front. So I set an appointment on Black Friday and went to Best Buy. I showed that ad to the rep and asked them to pull it up so we were both clear: trade-in discount today, and rebate to come after. The rep assured me Verizon would honor the deal. So I purchased two iPhone 11s and went home and entered the info for the rebate at https://www.yourdigitalrebatecenter.com/#!/. Got a confirmation so figured all was well. Since I signed up my wife with her mail she got confirmation as well. We then received the message which I posted which clearly states the criteria for the deal - and we met every point. Confused, I chatted with a Verizon customer service rep who told me that I needed to put the phones on a payment plan and not pay up front at time of purchase to get the rebate. 

It seems like I was hoodwinked into going out on Black Friday to get a deal that was quite onerous and deceptive in that it was not clear what the actual deal was. And then to get a rejection which clearly states that we met all the criteria seems ludicrous.

Eligibility Requirements:

Select 4G/5G Smartphones (minimum retail price of $600)

New Line Required Port In Required

Unlimited Plan Required

Consumer Accounts only

Below is the Verizon deal with bolded larger print rebate (scroll down to the word "also"). Black Friday 2019 from Slick Deals (can't find the original on VZ site but this was the wording for sure):

Verizon Unlimited Plan: Buy iPhone 11 w/ Trade-In, Get $400 Off via 24-Mo Credit EXPIRED

from $700

(Activation Required)

+82 Deal Score 

234,590 Views 419 Comments

Verizon Wireless is offering $400 Credited to Your Account over 24-months toward the purchase of an Apple iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, XS or XS Max when you Trade-In an Eligible Device on an eligible new or existing Verizon Unlimited plan (from $70/mo.). Thanks ndboston

Note, a one-time $20 activation fee per line applies.

Offer

1. Buy an eligible Verizon iPhone listed below on a 24-mo. payment plan on a new or existing Unlimited plan (starts at $70/mo)
  2. Select 'Yes' on the trade-in screen at checkout
  3. Trade in an eligible phone (listed below) in good cosmetic and working condition within 30 days of order completion (see FAQ).
    • "Good condition" description:
      • It turns on 
      • There's no battery damage and
      • The screen isn't cracked or broken
      • Fully paid-off with a "clean" device ID/IMEI (meaning not blacklisted on any networks)
  4. Upon acceptance of your trade-in, you'll get a $400 credit applied as ~$16.66 off your bill every month for 24 months.
    • Bill credits take 1 to 2 billing cycles to begin
  5. NOTE: Must maintain service line active to receive all 24 monthly bill credits. Canceling service before all 24 monthly credits have been applied will forfeit any remaining bill credits that have not been issued yet.

Also get a $400 Prepaid Mastercard when you Purchase An Eligible iPhone (listed above) and Port-In Your Existing Number to a New Line on an eligible Verizon postpaid Unlimited plan (starting at $70/mo.).

• After checkout, visit vzw.com/digitalrebatecenter
  • Enter code BLACKFRIDAY and complete submission
  • Your Prepaid Mastercard will arrive within 8 weeks

Eligible Trade-Ins:

• iPhone 11
  • iPhone 11 Pro
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS Max
  • iPhone XS
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's backtrack slightly, digitalagent. When I reviewed your initial post, you stated that you got the devices from Best Buy and not directly from Verizon. One thing we do want to mention is that locations such as Best Buy, Walmart, Sam's Club, and different local agents do not have Verizon Wireless employees. They are employees of the store that you purchased your devices from unless you are buying it from a direct corporate store. Part of the email also stated, "If your status is invalid, please email any validating information along with your wireless phone number and tracking number to [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]." Were you able to reach out to that email to advise of the situation at hand?

TakendraW_VZW

0 Likes
digitalagent
Enthusiast - Level 1

I realize that they are not employees of Verizon, but you have an agreement with Best Buy and other retail stores to sell you services. If they misrepresent a promotion, who pays in the end? They have a black book at Best Buy. It has all of the latest promotions printed out. This rebate was in that book. Maybe you need to revisit the way Best Buy represents Verizon promotions, but if I was fooled and the Best Buy rep was fooled, seems it was intentionally deceptive.

If you read the ad that was posted on Verizon's website it states the initial $400 savings is part of a payment plan. The other part of the ad only stipulates that a consumer purchase An Eligible iPhone and Port-In an Existing Number to a New Line on an eligible Verizon postpaid Unlimited plan (starting at $70/mo.) to get an additional $400 rebate. That is very misleading and it's intentionally misleading so as to dupe consumers. 

Yes, I have reached back to Verizon both through email and chat. The answer is the same - you needed to use a payment plan. That was never mentioned in the ad for the rebate. That's my point. Your ad suggested that the rebate only needed two qualifying events. The rejection mentioned four. We met all of the criteria and then you moved the goal posts and suggested there was another that was not clearly stated by Verizon on the site at the time of the Black Friday ad, in print, or in the Best Buy ad. 

So the cosumer is falsely led to believe there is a rebate that doesn't exist. That's why it looks like a scam. It feels like I've been scammed. 

0 Likes
Achal1991

It's more than a month since I have applied. Still says pending validation. That's one heck of a service I must say. Very impressive when it comes to respecting their customers time and money.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

digitalagent, 

It is never our intention to make any of our customers feel deceived in any way. We do our best to make sure every agent and store location is familiar with our promotions. They do change often and may have different qualifications. Were we able to find a resolution to your concern?

JenelleR_VZW

0 Likes