Re: Verizon Certified Unlocked Android Smartphones
FCaputo4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Aww got really excited when I got a notification the list was updated. Thought the Key2 would be added to put everyone at ease.

PAUMCL80
Enthusiast - Level 1

We want to see the BlackBerry Key2 on this list!

CINDY20
Enthusiast - Level 2

Would be grateful if you would let me (us) know when you receive your Key2, if it works well with Verizon!!  I wish you luck!!!! 

0 Likes
DANIE_C

I have a Sony XZ2 Compact (H8314) and have been trying to get it to work. I took it to the store and was told that it Verizon did not support the XZ2 Compact. Tech support determined that the XZ2 Compact will not work even with it being labeled as a "Verizon Certified Open Market" device. Does anybody know if or how to fix it or am I just out a brand new phone?

0 Likes
nuTechJunkie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Carol

Is there a reason the Huawei Mate 10 Pro isn't considered compatible? Before the Chinese hysteria you were going to be selling them, so it works with your network. Likewise there are plenty of non-$900 phones from overseas that are compatible when it comes to the frequencies they have, so why does Verizon have such a seemingly arbitrary policy for what is allowed when the ostensible point of being your own phone is that I could, you know, bring my own phone, not have to buy a new one.

Looking at the list, the majority of the bring your own phones are also available as contract phones; pretty much my choices are pay up front or over time, with the only big difference being I can get support from the manufacturer past when Verizon writes off my phone (like you did with my xt1254, which hasn't had a security update in a year and a half, despite still being a midrange phone).

I got a little off topic because I'm a chronic insomniac, J apologize. I am just hoping you can shed some light onto how/why a phone is denied or accepted as a bring your own phone with more specificity than that they were 'certified through Verizon's open development program', which to me,.at least, is a phrase that lacks semantic value. Does that mean they meet certain source-sharing standards, or do the Devs come to a Verizon summer camp and make smores and talk about why you should give their phone the okay. As opaque as the process is I'd believe either.

I've always been a Verizon cellular customer, right back to my first Nokia brick. I don't want to change providers, but you have limited phone options available - especially as I'm an unemployed grad student and while my parents will cover the bill the phone is up to me; I can pretty much get a burner style phones or a flagship, with a paltry few in between. What's more, all come with locked bootloaders, so that when I eventually decommission the device in 3 or 4 years, I can't even reprogram (I'm a CS major) it to do something useful like turn it into a motion activated security camera. Given the staggerinf amount of electronic waste we produce, and further what will be swiftly increasing prices on semiconductor and rare earth elements (not to mention manufactured components and finished pieces) due to the current trade disagreements, wanting an unlocked phone just plain makes sense. Unfortunately, and for some reason I'm hoping you can give a satisfactory answer to, Verizon seems determined to give you almost no choice, in that the unlocked phones and contract phones are nearly the same list.

I apologize for rambling on, but this is an important topic as I need to replace my phone soon, and every time I look at what Verizon is offering I can't help but do the mental math on how much I could save for an equivalent phone, or conversely, how much more powerful of a phone I could get for the same approximate price. And again, since the approval process is a black box that the customers only see the arbitrary output of, it's just flat out disheartening enough that I'm having to look at AT&T and T-Mobile, the next largest companies in my area, but their coverage is no match for yours. In other words, I don't want to leave, but I feel like I'm being forced out because of the limited ability to bring your own device. Some explanation would be appreciated, especially for the Huawei Mate 10 Pro, since the fact Verizon had planned on selling it means it is compatible, so there's no obvious legitimate reason to deny a customer who brings one in the ability to use it in your network.

Regards,

Bill

PS: If you want to send me a private message or call me, well, my number is on file. I want to stay with Verizon, but I also want a phone that is both good and affordable, and right now the fact is thats the Chinese have that combination on lock; I am fine with using a Chinese phone (Samsung isn't American but we aren't freaked out by that, after all), but I am powerless before the capricious and anonymous list-makers at Verizon.

CINDY20
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you received your preordered Key2?  I was hoping you would let me know if it is working on the Verizon network??  Hoping you are having success! Smiley Happy  Thank you!!!

0 Likes
INQUIRING-MINDS
Enthusiast - Level 3

Cindy20. They Key2 will not work on VZW's network until they certify it. That's a fact. Been following the forums at CB and no one has been successful. The question VZW should answer for their customers still stands: Will VZW whitelist the Key2? Unfortunately, all I hear is crickets.

FCaputo4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received my Key2 and love it...except for the fact it will only connect to data obviously until the phone is whitelisted. VZW techs tried to manually provision the phone on the network to no avail. The network kept seeing the phone as a non 4G phone. Hopeful they will whitelist it soon but no one in the entire tech support or level 2 support have even heard of the Key2 so who knows. Otherwise I'll just go to AT&T or T-Mobile because the phone is worth the switch to me.

CINDY20
Enthusiast - Level 2

Appreciate the input!  Thank you!

Hopefully Verizon will get off it's butt and whitelist it soon!!!

FCaputo4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well it's not just Verizon, TCL/BBMo have to submit the device to be provisioned on the network. Not sure if that has or ever will happen.

0 Likes